Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last?  Will this be my forever DSM >

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

How long do you expect high-end sewing machines to last? Will this be my forever DSM

Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 AM

I purchased a Janome 6600 about 4 years ago but I know that there will be newer machines with new add-ons or functions that I won't be able to live without... so I did not buy my machine with the idea I needed it to last 20 years... but I am confident it will.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Don't know about the "high end", but my Kenmore from 45 years ago still sews perfectly, never been to the shop. I do have a Viking Sapphire, but frankly got tired of all the bells and whistles and how finicky it is. I do use it for special features - stitches etc. But give me a older one for reliability.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
Yes, this is so true. Also, many of the posts are referring to non-computerized machines which is very different from what I was asking about. Hopefully, 15 to 20 years from now, I can say my BL Crescendo is purring along, but I think that is questionable with today's electronics. Regardless, I am in heaven with my new Crescendo!!
If you take good care of it, I think that's a reasonable expectation. I can't exactly remember when I bought my Artista 180 but it's been over 10 years and maybe close to 15 and it's doing fine. I know that mechanical machines last a lot longer, but I still feel that for all around use and good computerized machine is a good investment.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Vintage machines go on forever..The new ones not so long. Depends on how you use it and maintain it...My repairman says you can't beat the old machines. But, it is nice to have all the bells and whistles the new machines have.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM

My Bernina that do my quilts on is 21 years old. I did have to have the tension mechanism replaced, but I expect to keep it as long as they are able to repair it. However, with my Bernina machine that I do embroidery with has the problem that the box that I use to transfer designs to the embroidery card is no longer supported by the company that makes it. So when I got a new computer, the box would not work with it. So I had to keep my old computer so that I could write on the card that goes to my machine. Suspect that they stop supporting products to force you to buy new stuff. I call it vulture capitalism. I understand that there is a box out there that will work with my new computer, but I'm just annoyed that I have to buy something new!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM

Babylock is also coming out with a new machine call Destiny....wait and see what it is. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
Oops I meant hours and not minutes.
Are you sure you don't mean stitches instead of hours? Someone would have had to have sewn on the machine hourly, every day, for over 37 years straight to get 325000 hours on a machine. I thought Babylock displays stitches...mine does anyway.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I simply love my Janome Horizon 7700. Before that I simply loved my Janome MC 4900. Hated my Riccar for 25 years, it preceded my Janomes. As I purchased each of the Janomes I thought to myself THIS is my forever machine. However, I am currently lusting over the 8900. The good news is the my dealer will give me whatever I paid for the last one I bought from him towards the new one. It takes a little bit of the pain out. I am keeping my 7700 for the time being because she does everything I want, every time I want. I am only 53, so while I know my machine will outlast me, I'm not entirely certain, ever, that it is my LAST one.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maggieloe View Post
Don't know about the "high end", but my Kenmore from 45 years ago still sews perfectly, never been to the shop. I do have a Viking Sapphire, but frankly got tired of all the bells and whistles and how finicky it is. I do use it for special features - stitches etc. But give me a older one for reliability.
I thought i might be the only one with this machine still plugging away. I have my grandmothers 1968 kenmore and mostly maintain myself due to all local sewing / quilting shops only working with janome or bernina. I would love a serger and an embroidery machine someday and perhaps something with a bigger throat area, but for now, honestly the computerized ones kinda scare me. I hadn't thought about them being obsolete due to outdated software but that makes sense. Ouch. Especially since XP is no longer supported and slower than dirt to boot. I have a White machine as back-up as it was a freebie too and i have been looking at upgrading to a newer Brother or Singer. We'll see. Till then, my little Kenmore workhorse and I have a good understanding.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Machine you buy now are VERY different from machines made years ago. I've sold all brands of machines and can tell you straight, Bernina and Pfaff aren't worth the price tag. Brother is value for money but like most of the others, no metal frame and not built to last. Janome is the best you can buy. Seriously.