Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it take you to do a quilt? >

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM

I just wanted to add - I have a dozen or so hand embroidered quilt squares that my mother made for my nephew - her first grandchild. She never made them into a quilt and I inherited them when she passed away. I had hoped to make a crib quilt for his child - but he and his wife do not have/want children. So maybe I will make a crib quilt for my first grandchild (which I hope is still many years away.) BTW - my nephew is almost 40 now! That is one UFO that is surviing into the next generation(s)!~
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
bjr

I too sometimes take a LONG time to finish a quilt, so I always have 2 or 3 works in progress. When I'm working on a large quilt, I'll get tired of looking at it, so I switch to one of my other projects for a couple weeks...eventually they all get done. They key thing is to make sure you quilt at least once a week - getting into a habit of at least 30 minutes daily is better.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM

There are just to many fabrics and patterns out there. When I started out about 30 years ago, I bought fabric for a specific quilt and made it. But over the years (some that I didn't sew at all) I have accumulated fabric, books, patterns etc. I agree with the person that said, it will take a while to get back to normal from any sad event. I have tried toi make my self finish my UFO's but I always get sidetracked. I have some quilt tops that are 15-20 tears old. I now have three active quilts going, which I have decided was not a good idea. Now I am chompin' at the bit to do a "one block quilt", it is endless. Just enjoy!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Tina, how my heart aches for you and your loss. This month we honor my sister's passing 11 years ago. I have two brothers but, in all honesty (sibling wise) she's the one with whom I wanted to grow old.

And it takes you "as long as it takes" to finish a quilt. I have made several quilt tops but that's as far as I have gotten ... the quilting still needs to happen. You WILL finish it. Maybe for right now you could work on something smaller - a baby quilt or place mats are fairly quick to complete. I think you will feel better when you accomplish that. And as many others have said - there's no limit to the number of works in progress you can be creating at any given time.

Be kind to yourself and take good care.
Di
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I don't dare let myself start another for fear I'll never finish this first one.
How do you do it? Does it ever take you forever? I bet you don't let yourself buy for quilts you may never get to.
I started my first quilt 20 years ago, put it aside after a few weeks, picked it up again about 3 years later, put it aside after one session. Actually put aside quilting until 3-4 years ago. I have picked up my first quilt during the past 3-4 years, but have not worked on it. However, I have finished several quilts since then. I may never finish that first quilt, chances are good it will always remain as it is, but every time I pick it up and look at it I see how much I have really progressed.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I used to feel guilty if I didn't use every single thing I bought. Not anymore- here is how I look at it: I got so much joy out of whatever it was that I bought so to me that's worth a lot. I have tons of UFO's- like others who wrote, sometimes I need to put one away for awhile. I honestly think working on just one thing at a time would be boring for me.
So sorry about your sister. Be kind to yourself.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i started a quilt for my son when he was 6 and i gave it him when he was 41.
i began a quilt for my daughter when she was 7 and it was given 35 years
later. :roll: i have wip's that are 20 years old. i put them down or
pick them up. it's not a contest so i still win. :lol: right?
So funny!!!!!!!! But you are absolutely right- it's not a contest.
And thanks for the giggle :D :D :D
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM

I guess I just have to chime in with my two cents worth although I have read through a lot of very good advice.

Losing your sister has to be the pits and I can certainly understand why that would you derail you from your "usual" life. My sympathy for your loss.....it takes a long time to grieve.

Next, put away the wet noodle and please don't beat yourself up because you just aren't turned on to doing this quilt. A Queen Quilt is a tremendous project and frankly I haven't been brave enough to attempt such a big project. It is okay to put it on the back burner for awhile. Quilting should be fun. Pick a smaller project, pick fabrics that just take your breath away and start sewing. The Queen Quilt will get finished when the time is right, believe me........

(I also have quite a few WIP and such......)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by crazicorn
Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I don't dare let myself start another for fear I'll never finish this first one.
How do you do it? Does it ever take you forever? I bet you don't let yourself buy for quilts you may never get to.
I started my first quilt 20 years ago, put it aside after a few weeks, picked it up again about 3 years later, put it aside after one session. Actually put aside quilting until 3-4 years ago. I have picked up my first quilt during the past 3-4 years, but have not worked on it. However, I have finished several quilts since then. I may never finish that first quilt, chances are good it will always remain as it is, but every time I pick it up and look at it I see how much I have really progressed.
IMHO I think that all of these WIP/UFOs have a purpose. Even if it's going back in time and reminiscing. I love to take out all of the old ones that are patiently waiting. I give them a breath of fresh air and refold them from time to time. I like the idea that someone had several months ago of hanging them on padded hangers, but I don't have the space to do it. So I fondel them and then tuck them away again.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Depends on the quilt. I have one I've been working on for 2 years now all hand quilted.
Is that a hawaiian quilt you are working on?