Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many yards do you iron?

Blog Entries

How many yards do you iron?

I made lots of fabric purchases last month and started to wash them, which also means ironing them all. I always pre-wash before storing. In one hour I ironed 5 pieces totaling 24 yards.

Out of curiosity, how many yards of fabric do you iron in one hour?

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty Type A, but even I haven't counted how many yards I can press, fold and store in an hour.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

i generally pre-wash, dry, fold & put away- i iron the fabric when i am getting ready to use it---see no point in having to iron it twice...also i may want to use starch before cutting & i don't store starched fabric...i did however spend a whole day one time ironing batik fat quarters...it was almost a 'zen' day- i really enjoyed just fondling, ironing, ohhing & ahhing over the beautiful fabrics- i think there was something like 20 yards of them- i haven't done any 'marathon speed ironing' or tried to break any records- i enjoy the process once in a while...generally i am just ironing as i go-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    I agree with ckcowl...I wash it when I buy it and iron when I take it out to use it. No marathons of ironing for me
    Ditto here, I only iron what I'm going to use at the time. Otherwise, washed, folded and stored.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I've never kept track of yards per hour. I wash, dry and iron all fabrics before putting away. When I have a pile ready to iron, I pop in a movie and enjoy!

I'm another prewash (which for me is just a good rinse in hot water) dry, fold neatly and put away.
    I starch and press just what I need when I'm ready to cut. Our differences are what make us interesting.

Power Poster
    I measure fabric before and after washing it - just because I always feel so 'justified' for washing it when I can verify that it shrank. I usually just fold it until ready to cut it, also.

When I refolded fabric a few years ago, I did iron everything - from the back - and put safety pins in the selvages if there was a flaw or something to watch for on the piece.

I pre-wash but never iron, until I'm ready to use the fabric. Seems like a waste of time, to iron, then fold . . . then have to iron again, before using!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I normally don't keep track, but was curious how many I can iron before taking a break

I guess I like to iron twice, hehe, me and my quirky ways!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast