Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often to have machine serviced? >

How often to have machine serviced?

How often to have machine serviced?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 AM

Glad yo hear you got it resolved and they will only have it a few days. The last time I took my Babylock in they had it for 3 months. Said they were just backed up. Needs it again and I hate to have it gone that long.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 AM

Genden, I have been where you are with caregiving and to say the least it is a daunting task. I have a Viking machine, I keep the dust and lint cleaned out. Oil a few small places and TRY to get her into the shop about once a year. Right now it has been over years and she still purrs like a kitten. Do what your heart tells you. What state are you in? If you are near here, I would be glad to come give you a break now and then.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm so happy that the dealership backed down on their outrageous response to you, especially given all the issues you have been dealing with. I do not own a Bernina, however, but I do have a Janome 4000, which is getting older, just like I am (LOL) too. I think it was suggested that I bring her in for servicing every year; however, I do not always do that. I do regularly (especially when the "pitch" changes on my machine), clean out my bobbin case, and the area under my machine, and clean out all the lint that collects from my sewing and quilting; but when that doesn't pass the "hearing" test, I bring it in to the dealer to have it cleaned, oiled and serviced. I am probably weird, but I do not even know where I could oil the machine and I was told when I purchased it that I shouldn't oil it, but leave that to regular servicing. I'm sure that my machine is 15+ years old and (knock on wood) keeps on sewing for me and doing a good job of it as well. You're right, the dealership should have sent you a reminder of your anniversary date, it's only good business for them. I wish you and your husband well, as being the sole caretaker can be very difficult. God bless.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:33 AM

I have a Bernina, and when I bought it, I was given two years of cleaning for free. Then it was $65 on my third year for service. So I think you were being over charged for cleaning, and next time you do want to get it cleaned, call the other place first. I also have two Singers and the cost of cleaning for them was about the same, but I do drive further to take them to be cleaned. And my old Penney's machine I take to my Bernina place and it's the same cost. As far as how often, it just depends on how much I use the machines. I sew every day, so I do clean and oil them myself a lot in between check ups. $4,000 Bernina, $80 old Penney's it doesn't make any difference, I want them to work, so need to keep them in good working order.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:07 AM

I have a Bernina and like the machine, however, my dealer went out of business 5 days after I purchased it. And they had been in business for >15 yrs. or so...........and as for service I am able to oil it myself. And cleaning, yup, I do the best I can..............My Viking dealer 15 yrs. ago offered a free loaner when my high end machine was purchased, but that is a by gone perk................I still have the Viking............calla
Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 AM

I took my 1996 Viking Rose in for service for the 1st time last year. It cost me $149.00, plus7% tax. I went with a neighbor to the Viking Dealer the other day as her high end Viking embroidery machine was making birds nests. They said cost, without parts would be $249.00.

I treat my sewing machine kind of like my car. I take care of it and service depends on how much I use it. I spend more on servicing my riding lawn mower than I do my car.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:44 PM

I took my Janome in recently for her annual. I caught the dealer (from whom I purchased my machine) during a sale (only downside is they are about 1 1/2+ hours away), so it was only $27.54 (half price) of their regular fee of ~$55, which is still less than the local dealer ($129). I like the town they are in, so it was like a mini getaway while the tech serviced my machine.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all your kind, helpful comments. I had an interesting experience yesterday. A nurse came to the house for my husband's blood draw. She immediately noticed and commented on my Bernina. She said she loved her Berninas. Out of curiosity, I asked her where she bought hers because she lives in my town. She said she bought her first one from the dealer I bought mine from, but she said she wouldn't buy there again and made the two hour drive to buy from another dealer because the service, policies, and prices are so much better. Good customer service pays in the long run. Word of mouth can be the best or worst advertising you can get.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Thanks for all your kind, helpful comments. I had an interesting experience yesterday. A nurse came to the house for my husband's blood draw. She immediately noticed and commented on my Bernina. She said she loved her Berninas. Out of curiosity, I asked her where she bought hers because she lives in my town. She said she bought her first one from the dealer I bought mine from, but she said she wouldn't buy there again and made the two hour drive to buy from another dealer because the service, policies, and prices are so much better. Good customer service pays in the long run. Word of mouth can be the best or worst advertising you can get.
That is very true. That is why I drove all the way to St. George (~ 2 hour drive) to buy my machine and have it serviced.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:33 PM

I have a viking and don't take it in very often as I clean it regularly. My 401A has been in hospital after 56 years only 2 times. I religiously clean her out and keep her oiled. No problems.