Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is your stash?

I have some stash from my GREAT grandmother's stash --- I'm almost 60 ....don't know how old that is! MY stash is about 35 yrs old....some fabric from my daughter's first clothes.

Since I just started quilting less than 2 years ago my stash is small and pretty new except for a few pieces my mom gave me and they could be pretty old! I also have some Dresden plates from feed sacks.

Most of my stash is 5 or less years old because I'm relatively new to quilting. However, I do have fabrics, mostly not quilting cottons, from over fifty years ago, the length of time I've been sewing. Looking through the boxes of old stuff is a real nostalgia trip for me, remembering what I made or, in some cases, planned to make with the fabric. If it would fit me (won't), I'd love to finish that denim jean jacket and pants set I started 30 something years ago. The jacket only needs snaps and finishing touches. :roll:

I know some of my fabric is from 25 years ago and my mom always had fabric drawers or boxes and I have some of that so some pieces are even older. Not everything is cotton.

My stash goes back to 1969. I sewed all my clothes for my senior year in high school. I would use some of the leftover fabrics to make my 3 little sisters play clothes. I recently found some of those scraps and hope to make a quilt using them soon.

The oldest quilt fabrics I have are around 10 years old.

I have a piece of fabric I bought in the middle 70s to make a dress though. It's polyester so it'll probably just stay a piece of fabric. I know that dress pattern won't fit anymore and I don't wear dresses anymore anyway.

Well, I know for sure that a bunch of my fabric is from the early 80's, and some before that.. I'm just not sure..lol
    My mom had the old stuff and I think she "cleaned house" when I was overseas, so I wasn't there to object..lol..... probably a good thing.

I have fabric from sewing projects that are probably 30 yrs. old-not so much quilting, but garment fabrics. I've been quilting for about 15 years or more-more in the last 10. my stash is outgrowing my room. It's embarassing when people see it. it's out of control.

Some of my stash items are over 50 years old. Feed sack, flour sack, so forth. I also made all of my own cloths since I was in seventh grade and I am now 58. My kids and grandkids love it when I make a scrap qilt and tell them what each piece represents. In fact, my daughter writes on the back of each piece what it is from.

I have a oiece that I know is over twentyfive yrs old.Cause K-Mart stopped selling material before I got out of highschool.An I happen to
    have graduated in 1982 it was about five or six yrds.An I put it in a
    wedding ring quilt that is WIP.An I have a bunhes of material that I got
    at thrift stores that I know is as old as the other piece of material.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast