Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How old is your stash?

I have some that I made my daughters school dresses from. They are now 49 and 50 years old. Boy, does that make me old!!!!!

Blog Entries
    20 years +

I have a piece of Strawberry Shortcake fabric from the 70s that I made

my girls' summer dresses from.

Sandi

I have some pretty old fabric in my stash -- from the 40's thru to the 60's. My darling SIL gave me 2 big boxes of fabric that they found in his grandmother's barn after she died last year.

Hi, I am new to posting, but have been reading for a while. I have a piece of my grandmother's wedding dress from 1924, and only yesterday I was trying to work out what I could work it into. How strange!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    I have fabric from when my grandmother made me dresses. I will be 40 in a few days... I try to put a little piece of it on my quilts.. even if it is in the label .. she is the one who taught me to sew.
    How touching :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    I have fabric from when my grandmother made me dresses. I will be 40 in a few days... I try to put a little piece of it on my quilts.. even if it is in the label .. she is the one who taught me to sew.
    How touching :lol:
    I will now save some of the fabrics I use when teaching my 7 year old granddaughter in a special container just for her. Thanks for the memory maker!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    I still have pieces from when I first started quilting about 9 years ago. It's all inferior quality so I don't use it. Not sure why I keep it in my stash. haha
    I also still have some decorator's fabric that I bought and made my first big quilt (king) for my mother. I washed it before I gave it to her and then promptly had to sew it back together!
    I'm self taught, the hard way! :lol:
    Hey that stuff (inferior fabric) I gave to my sister and she crocheted me rag rugs! There's always a use for them and the uglies. :wink:
    Oh and my stash really started in the early 80's but have some fabrics from my HS days as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the idea Up North. Just so long as I don't forget where I put the pieces I've saved :roll: I have 4 gr daughters now and the oldest wants to teach me how to sew already. :lol:

Thanks for the idea Up North. Just so long as I don't forget where I put the pieces I've saved :roll: I have 4 gr daughters now and the oldest wants to teach me how to sew already. :lol:
    I would take a plastic tote and label it with their names, let them divvy it up at a later date. I only have one granddaughter but 3 grandsons- 2 that like to sew so they can share the box of beginner scraps. May be a good idea to put a little note on each piece of the date and project- Man now I have more work to do!!! LOL

My stash has some pretty old pieces in it, i know some i bought is at least 15 yrs old, and i have lots of 30's-50's pieces that were given to me. I can remember where i got lots of it, nevr WHY tho LOL

I have material that I bought in the early 70's. But when my surrogate mother died, I inherited quite a stash, 2 1/2 car garage from floor to ceiling like library shelves and everything catagorized. Gave a lot of it but there is some beautiful linens, silks, cottons, etc that I know have to have been when her daughter was young and her daughter is now 80 yrs old. And it is still good. I have been making some baby quilts with this fabric as alegacy from her to the new babies.

Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    I still have pieces from when I first started quilting about 9 years ago. It's all inferior quality so I don't use it. Not sure why I keep it in my stash. haha
    I also still have some decorator's fabric that I bought and made my first big quilt (king) for my mother. I washed it before I gave it to her and then promptly had to sew it back together!
    I'm self taught, the hard way! :lol:
    Hey that stuff (inferior fabric) I gave to my sister and she crocheted me rag rugs! There's always a use for them and the uglies. :wink:
    Oh and my stash really started in the early 80's but have some fabrics from my HS days as well.
    Thanks OK for the idea! now that you said that I thought about what I saw on Fons and Porter today. They did the bowls made out of cotton laundry cord. I could probably make a matching bowl to go with that quilt! It should stay together as long as she doesn't wash it! :lol:

I have fabric that is 55+ years old. It was from of my dresses when I was small. I started quilting in 1989 and I still have some of that fabric. I think there is some that is more than 20 years old also that my Mom gave me.

Alot of my fabric is from sales. Some of it is probably pretty old. Some of you will see on here soon. Im trying to get rid of some of it. I have way too much and am trying to make extra money to go toward plane ticket for my son to come home from Korea for awhile.
    Judy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    I'm 81 as of May of this year and I have a stash of my own from the early 60's but have been sewing sinc :roll: e my childhood and also inherited my mother's stash which goes waaaaay back.

HOW PRECIOUS TO HAVE FABRIC FROM YOUR GREAT GRANDMOTHERS STASH.....MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER QUILTED....SOMEWHAT....I AM I GUESS A FIRST GENERATION QUILTER....YOU ARE ONE BLESSSED WOMAN!!

Mine is mostly younger stash. I have some from when I sewed clothes, but not much. I didn't quilt than so I threw the scraps away. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I know better now.

My quilt stash began in 1995 (with first quilt). I still have cut squares from that first quilt. As far as my "garment stash" goes -- well I've still got a lot of double knits and pieces from garments I made for my children (who are now 46 and 42). I am slowly sending those pieces to those who can use them (charity sales,etc.) When I look at some of those pieces, I wonder what I had in mind when I purchased them. :roll:

I have a little from the 30's.

My mother gave me her stash from the 40's about ten years ago. And prior to that when my grandmother died (1972) I got hers. She had grain sacks and feed sacks and a piece of silk from my aunts wedding dress from 1924! (Her wedding picture hangs on my dining room wall.) Also in her stuff was a UFO that she started in 1921. I think it's called Grandmother's Garden. It's tiny hexagons sewed together in flower shapes... and the fabric is in great condition!
    And then, of course, there is my own stash dating back to my sewing as a teenager in the 50's and making clothes for my children in the mid 60's.
    This may sound silly, but I have a Navy wool blanket that my father had while aboard ship in WWll. He was on the USS Dunlap that had just left Pearl Harbor
    early in the morning on Dec. 7, 1941. I have made quilts for every one of his great grand children and put a snippet of that blanket inside each one of them.
    My kids say I'm "corny".... but they do seem to treasure those quilts.

Blog Entries
    I have about two yards of flannel that my mother made me pajamas out of when I was about 6 yo. So it would be over 50 years old.
    It has a white background with red reindeers and red and blue like crosses on it. Sound familiar to anyone?

I never realized fabric gets old.....I have some from 1950's that has knives, forks, spoons...afraid to cut up.

Blog Entries
    I have some fabric that is almost 13 years old. That's the oldest that I have that I bought for myself. I have some old feedsack fabric that was given to me.

Blog Entries
    some of my fabric is 27 years old, when I first started to quilt, I was on a peach and brown kick at the time, so easy to spot them. LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast