Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to track the quilts you want to do >

How to track the quilts you want to do

How to track the quilts you want to do

Old 07-03-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
I use Pinterest too!!! but my boards are so full of ideas that I think I need to create a new one to priorize
I made a secret board titled Gifts To Make. That way if I find a quilt pattern that I am thinking about making for someone they won't see it on my Pinterest page
Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM

I use my computer, though some of the pictures may have been taken with my cell phone. On my computer are to separate files. #1 has just the labeled pictures of quilts I like. #2 has each labeled quilt picture and the directions on making the quilts, if I have them. I do backup these files so they won't be lost if my computer gets fried.

I just don't want any more paper collection dust and using valuable space. The slideshow function with quilt pictures is great for browsing.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM

I've been bookmarking links to patterns in a patterns folder on my computer. But I like the idea of printing out a picture of the pattern -- I think I will start to do that!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM

I puit little post it note flags in my quilting books. I have way more flags than quilts I'll ever be able to make. But looking at them is fun for me!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie333 View Post
I just wondered what others do. I'm thinking about starting a spreadsheet, but then I'm known for my spreadsheet to my friends and family, so that's a natural way for me to do it. How does everyone else do this?
If that's what you're comfortable with, go for it! I design in Excel so it's really easy for me to set everything up in Excel workbooks. There's a master spreadsheet with each quilt linked to their own individual workbook. The quilt specific workbook has all the 'intimate details', alternate colors and fabrics, sources, cutting details, etc. You can add photos, notes, calculations, all kinds of things plus you can merge any or all of what you want with other MS software seamlessly. No paper to lose or get crumply. Works perfectly for me.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I also have several 3 ring binders with patterns and instructions I have gotten from magazines and internet. I love to sit and look through them while watching TV in the evenings.
Texas sunshine. Must be a Texas 'thang' b/c I do that too!!!! Lol
Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 AM

I have (many) huge binders with ideas for quilts, color combinations, gift items, etc. I copy them from magazines, internet and sometimes just a drawing of what I like. Now it's difficult to decide which binder holds the pattern I am looking for. Also have a milk crate full of ideas that never made it to a binder.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:50 AM

Like many of us I also keep a binder with photo's and or patterns that I remove from my quilting magazines before recycling the magazines. Unfortunately the binders keep growing! Six in total now!! I have a million fat quarters or quarter yards purchased over the years. Hopefully retirement will allow me to get some of this quilting accomplished!!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I have the patterns stored in a notebook
Old 07-04-2014, 05:21 AM

I have a Bucket List File and a Project Idea File on my computer. The patterns I really want to do, I print and file. I go through the files and pull patterns periodically for swaps, etc. and place them in binders for convenience. I do most of fabric cutting at the Extension Office because my sewing room has limited cutting space. For the most part my sewing room travels with me in my van.