Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use fabric from stash >

How to use fabric from stash

How to use fabric from stash

Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM

Smile How to use fabric from stash

I have bought fabric over the years, as most quilters do, because I like the colors and added them to my stash. Now this is the dilemma and I hope I can make myself clear. I find a pattern I would like to use but do not know how to incorporate my stash. I really do not want to buy new fabric for every pattern I might want to piece. (After all, I have this stash and really want to use it.) Also, I look at my collection, asking what can I use this in.

Many patterns require certain values, etc. to make up the designs. I spend too much time trying to make decisions and get discouraged.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM

This is one reason I don't have a stash. What stash I do have is leftovers from projects. I would not have a clue how to go about selecting a pattern to go with existing fabric. Different from collecting particular fabrics for a specific project - as I am in the process of doing now.

If you like scrappy??? I'm sure other stashers will be along to give you some pointers.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

How do you like scrap quilts? You can go and cut a 2.5" strip from all your stash items and use it in a pattern that calls for jelly rolls. Same thing with charm squares (5") or layer cakes (10")
I guess what I'm saying is make your own precuts. There's lots of free patterns out there, here's a great source:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/
You can make a controlled scrappy with a single color for the background or sashing to tie everything together. You can also just cut a strip from all your reds, or blues etc. It's amazing how different hues of the same color look great together!
Another idea is look for a single block you love that has 2 or 3 colors.
http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
Use the same background fabric on each block, but a different focus fabric, then sash it!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Do you have at least 1/2 yard of each of your fabrics? The first thing I can suggest is to make sure that your fabric is organized by color. Then here's what I'd do. If I had a specific pattern in mind, I'd take the pattern and go into my stash and pretend I was at the quilt store. 'Audition' different fabrics together, put them in a stack and go away for awhile and do something else. Then come back to it and see if you still love it. If you have a lot of scraps, Quiltville.com has free patterns, and the quilting magazines usually have one pattern to make using just your stash.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Over the years the "in" colors change so it is hard to match fabric from different decades or even from year to year. I find it is easier to use stash fabric with a neutral solid color or tone on tone. Even when a color comes back "in style" it usually has a different value and tone so it is the same but not the same(if that makes sense). I like the idea of scrappy as others have suggested, it is easier to add different values and tones than a planned quilt that needs to blend very well.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

First find your focal fabric that will be the main focal point in your patterns then find contrasting colors to match... add a zinger color to make things pop.... IM a scrappy quilter and I have enough stash fabric to last me quite a few lifetimes.. 1930s, batiks, neutrals galore, holiday, blenders and prints... 9 out of 10 times i shop my stash... I can quilt and sew at any given moment and not have to wait to run to a LQS for anything..
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM

One of the ways I use fabric from stash is to let the amount of fabric I have determine what size the quilt turns out. I had three fabrics that just belonged together. But there was only enough to make a throw size quilt. So it was a throw size quilt. I have several that just belong together and they'll come out whatever size I can make with the fabric I have. I don't try to add fabrics just to make it bigger or add sashing to make it bigger. They come out whatever size the fabrics dictate.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

If you don't have enough of any one fabric, I like to use a pattern that looks good with a variety. A couple that come to mind are Shadowbox or Falling Charms. It is the main background colour that pulls all the pieces together. You might also be interested in some of Bonnie Hunter's free scrap quilt patterns at http://www.quiltville.blogspot.ca
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM

I have found that if I "stew" over what fabric to use too long, it gets discouraging. What works for me is to spend a bit of time, maybe 20 minutes, making stacks of five fabrics that I like together. Then I come back later and look again and decide which stack I want to mess with. I also had to convince myself that if I "make the wrong choices," the world won't end. I go ahead and finish the quilt (because usually I decide that I don't like a quilt when I am in the middle of it) and I usually end up liking it.

I am very insecure about selecting fabric for a quilt. Often I opt for several shades of the same color, because I know those will go together. But I have finally, after four years, come to a place where I can just make a decision and go with it....not stew about it forever. Hope you get there too. It sure makes quilting more fun.

Dina
Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I usually find a pattern that clicks with a fabric I have in my stash. Then I start pulling out fabrics from my stash. I have them sorted by type (tonals, watercolor florals, calicos) and colors. Usually, a pattern has a focus fabric, then I add others that coordinate being in shades of light mediums and dark. Here is what I am working on. The pattern is called De Novo (free Benartex pattern on their website) but I am posting my EQ layout. I just slapped this together so these are NOT the fabrics I am using. Must hunt up a few more greens.
Sorry, don't know why the picture was so out of focus.....
Attached Thumbnails de-novo.jpg   vip-floral.jpg