Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Am An Addict >

I Am An Addict

I Am An Addict

Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Imperfect makes it "your design".
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Try to figure out what is holding you back because it might not be your perfectionism...is it lack of time, don't want to mess up the room, insecurity of what to do? If you decide it is perfectionism then instead of trying to make a whole quilt decide on a block you like and a color scheme you like and just make the block. Don't think of it as making a whole quilt...make just 1 block and DON'T tear anything out and start over! After the block is finished look at it and think about what you want to do differently on the next block and make a new one of the same block concentrating on "fixing" the errors. Keep doing this and not only will you be perfecting your work (which for us perfectionists is very necessary) you will also be building up your block pile. Before you know it your blocks will all be coming out nicely and you can decide if you want to put the first 1 in the quilt top with the other...my guess is if you have someone else lay out your blocks (without you nearby) and you walk in and stand 5 ft back from it you won't be able to pick out your 1st block from the others...you can do this!!!!!

Diannia
Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 AM

I learned, a lonnnnnng time ago, that striving for "perfection" means never getting anything done. I'd sew, see a crooked stitch, rip, etc. Drove myself crazy! Nowadays, I just enjoy what I'm doing and if something is crooked, I decide whether or not it's crooked ENOUGH, to be ripped. In most cases, it isn't.

Unless you're planning to enter the quilt in a contest, just ENJOY the experience!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM

I really think part of my problem is I do a lot of counted cross stitch. I like it because it is so perfect. I never stray from the pattern. I stitch it just as it is designed with the colors picked by the designer. Quilters have a lot of leeway in picking colors, borders, backing, etc. I lack the confidence in picking light, dark, medium colors. I think the combination of these make the quilt come alive. I think I need the quilt patterns designers tell me exactly what to do. ;-) I hope this picture shows up. It shows part of a lap quilt on the design wall. I picked these colors because I thought they were safe but I'm stuck on the border and backing. I seem to over think the choices.

Linda
Attached Thumbnails featherweighttable.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by lsb142 View Post
I am in love with the idea of quilting. I love collecting fabrics, notions, tools, etc. I look at my beautiful fabric all nicely folded on comic book boards and find that I don't want to cut them. I have a dedicated craft room with three machines. I have even bought a quilting machine and a frame. I even have an Accuquilt Go. I probably have 50+ quilting magazines. I buy all the quilting classes on Craftsy and watch them all the way through. I find I understand the techniques and "think" I could compete the quilts they show but I have yet to do that. I have only completed one lap quilt and have another top on my design wall. What is wrong with me? I have the desire and all the tools but I can't make myself complete quilts. I believe it is the perfectionist in me. I'm afraid my quilts won't be "perfect". I think I need an intervention.

Linda
Do you want me to come over and show you how I start a project? hehehe. I go into my space, pull out my bin of fabric, make a mess pulling out all manner of pieces, then I iron and start to cut. Last night I pieced the top of a mug rug, but it was the most fun I had all day (I work full time and I cut the grass after dinner). If I had the energy I would have finished the quilting and the binding. I love turning on my sewing machine and making it hum. Maybe you should start with a small project and use your favorite fabric.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM

This thread describes me too. Thanks to reading about others experiences on this site, I'm taking courage in hand and I have a quilt started for a friend whose oldest child is leaving the nest for college. I HOPE to have it done by the time the child leaves. I am starting to understand that a finished non-perfect quilt is much, much better than a quilt that exists only in my mind. So, fellow perfectionists, lets give it a go and enjoy that wonderful fabric as we create something for a person we love.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Try making some things for someone where there is a deadline. I'm also a terrible perfectionist. I have had the fabric for 3 quilts for grand kids for several years. I made up my mind this was the year. In the last 2 months I have completed and gifted one. One is waiting for the binding and the third is on Matilda my long arm and will get started today and finished tomorrow. All 3 are very large twins. Think of an upcoming occasion and gift someone. Making someone else happy has proved to be the motivation I needed.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM

They called it their "humility block", to prove that no one is perfect. I never had to TRY to make a humility block. I always managed to do one on my own just fine.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM

I know my quilts are far from perfect.. I don't have all the latest gadgets.. BUT.. I am having a ton of fun.. I am self taught.. I also like designing my own quilts.. The pleasure I get out of not using someone elses pattern is great.. I like the idea that it can't be compared to what it should look like.. I don't have major fabric yardage, but I don't have a need.. I find I can exist with scraps.. I can afford more, but don't have the need. I have a Singer 66, and 99 that I use exclusively.. I have a Singer 600E (with the cams) that I need to clean, and fix, and a Singer made in England that I use, as it does zig zag..
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 AM

great advice!