Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do??? >

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Default I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

To start with, my sweet grown DD does not sew, does not quilt, nothing involving sewing. She kept asking me for suggestions for Christmas. So finally, one of the things I mentioned was fabric. I told her I could never have too much fabric, and it might be interesting to see what she would pick out. Boy oh boy, was that a mistake! She went to Joanne's and bought 20 fat quarters - 10 red/black print, 10 solid black. When I opened it, she was so happy for me to see it, and asked me if I could make a quilt out of it. I thought a bit, then told her that yes, I was sure I could, and that I might add in another fabric, thinking of white or even a white/black print, thinking of a Disappearing Nine Patch. OH NO! She wants no other fabric in the quilt. She said she did not care what size it is, but she wants no other fabric included, unless it is more of the exact same. So as I said, NOW what do I do? Sure would love to have your suggestions. And to top it all, it's not the best quality fabric. Grrrrrr!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 PM

So why not go ahead with your idea of the D9P?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Is the quilt for her? If not, I'd just tell her ..."I have thought more about it and I want to add at least one more fabric. I'd just like that better."

Dina
Old 12-25-2013, 07:48 PM

mom-6, I can't visualize a D9P with only two fabrics. Seems like it would be boring.

Dina, yes, it is for her, and she is adamant that no other fabric be added!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Yellow brick road is a pattern that uses lots of fat 1/4's.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 PM

That was a very thoughtful gift. Your daughter did her best picking out fabric. If the quilt is for her, then do what she asks if you can. Quality of fabric is not important to her at all. What is important to her is that you use the fabric to make something beautiful for her.

Why not make a table topper (or two), pot holders and napkins for her? The napkins could be made using an accent color as the bottom of the napkin. Same for the table toppers. Other suggestions, Christmas tree skirt, ornaments, wall hanging, lap quilt.

I think I'd be very tempted to ask her to help me with the project, though! She can always say no.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 PM

Oh yes, cathyvv, very thoughtful. She's a precious daughter and my best friend. And yes, I will definitely comply with her wishes. She really wants a quilt from the fabric, nothing else. Yes, she has other quilts I've made for her, but she wants another out of this fabric. And the thought of her helping me would be wonderful, but that will never happen. She's an RN and already has more on her plate than she can say grace over. My main concern is what pattern to use that will look pretty using only two fabrics. I don't want to disappoint her.

And Lori S - just like the D9P, I can't picture it with only two fabrics.

Oh, what to do, what to do?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Okay, if you just have two fabrics, then that is what you have. I know there have to be two fabric quilts out there. You could just do a checkerboard thing. Those are cute. You could make the squares quite large. And I know I have a two color quilt somewhere. Maybe I can find pictures...

Okay, the blue and white one has two blocks...a 9 patch and a rail fence. They are set on point and alternated. The red and gold one is just a checker board.

Perhaps one of these might work for you?

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001018.jpg   s8001350.jpg  
Old 12-25-2013, 08:10 PM

I would make it using just the fabric she provided. What a thoughtful daughter. This actually brought a tear to my eye. I seem to be getting more sentimental the older I get.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Here is a better picture of the blue and white one, after I added the borders...

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001020.jpg