Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

Google crumb quilts and you'll find lots of different instructions. 1/4" is not as important with crumbs, although you still want to have enough seam allowance that the pieces don't fray apart. Here's one from Bonnie Hunter. http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

LOL you remove the paper after it is all pieced together....actually I remove it as I go(piece the quilt together)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    I don't get it. I understand WHAT you're doing, and the WHY of it all, but help me understand how you get it OFF afterwards? When you wash this quilt, it's gonna be all gunked up inside with wet paper-mess. (???)

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    If you try to sew lots of small horizontal fabric pieces together, you are going to find it hard to get a straight strip to use. You either end up with a curving strip that won't lay flat or one that veers left or right. The foundation keeps it going straight and you trim the edges back to the paper edge. You sew with a small stitch length so that the paper is easy to tear off AFTER you sew the strips in a quilt top. You tear them after sewing them in so that you don't pull out any of the edge stitches. This is a great way to use up lots of small scraps.
    ahhh nowwww it makes sence... wooo hoooo... awesome.. thanks soooo very much for all your information.. ok off to find some reciept paper.. lol...
    Don't do to others what you do NOT want done to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Google crumb quilts and you'll find lots of different instructions. 1/4" is not as important with crumbs, although you still want to have enough seam allowance that the pieces don't fray apart. Here's one from Bonnie Hunter. http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
    this helped alot... now I'm going to be able to figure out what to do with all these small pieces that I've got laying around here.. lol.. thanks tons for all the information..
    Don't do to others what you do NOT want done to yourself

For crumb quilts you WANT the edges to fray. That's the charm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
    "CRUMB" quilts are supposed to fray? Or do you mean rag quilts? I've never seen a crumb quilt with frayed edges. We are talking about the Bonnie Hunter type of crumb quilts, right? Or is there a different kind of crumb quilt? Help!

Blog Entries
    I thought I got this pattern until I tried it. Oh dear what a mess. I as doing what the class described as an easy table runner. Give me an intermediate pattern an time. I PM a quilter on here who has made a spectacular 3 braid runner for a wedding present. She sent me a list of titles of some excellent books. Go through pictures and look for the 3 braid quilt in warm reds. You may need to go through a few pages but it is a beauty. Good luck.
    Finished is better than a UFO

huntannette, thanks for posting pics. I was not really interested in doing one of these until I saw your pics. I especially love the one with the red sashing. Did you do the quilting freemotion? Really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
    I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...
    I finally found a roll of adding machine tape to do this. I usually chain sew my strips, how do you do the adding machine tape-sew and cut the thread each time you add a piece? I guess I need to go find the original tutorial. I think I have it bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
    When my crumbs quilts fray it's because I wasn't paying attention when sewing and missed a seam, my 1/4" seams is closer to a 1/16" or 1/32"

Are you sure you are thinking crumb quilts?
    Last edited by charity-crafter; 01-18-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Check out the fantastic Tutoriahttp://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/string-piecing-adding-machine-paper-t56940.htmll by Sue Fish!!
    Hilary

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast