Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    Oh, I like the idea of recycling those dryer sheets...would you still need to remove them, or no?
    No...you leave dryer sheets in!! Just make a good foundation to sew on!!!!
    Hilary

When we did charity quilts some of the local hotels donated sheets they could not longer use for us to cut up and use as the foundation. That way you don't have to tear off all the paper it just becomes part of the quilt. However I do like the idea of using the receipts for a foundation, puts them to good use other than reminding you of what the groceries cost these days. Some of the ones I get are two feet long with all the extras they put on them.

A really good source for adding machine rolls is your local Goodwill or other thrift store. Most people aren't using adding machines any more, so they wind up at thrift stores. Just found a six-pack at my local Goodwill a couple of weeks ago.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I use mostly cotton, and often thin cotton or old sheets, as foundations in string quilts, of which I make many for homeless families. I use strings that have not always been cut on the straight of grain, cross grain, or bias. They are just leftover fabric, small pieces of fabric. The foundation provides the stability.

Quote Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
    I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...
    I, too, love your quilts. What a cool way to use up little scraps. Thanks for sharing.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

IQ2
    I love the idea of the cash register tapes...do you remove the paper before you use the strip of strings?

Thank you so much....i`m always working on one.....I just use up small strips left over and sew them on the roll....when I have a full roll, i make it into a quilt....
    Quote Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
    I, too, love your quilts. What a cool way to use up little scraps. Thanks for sharing.

That`s exactly where I got the idea to do mine......
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Here's a hot link for you ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html

BTW there was no need to type it all in ... I just cut and pasted it into the browser and was there.
    Then cut and pasted it here, so you had the hot link.

. However I do like the idea of using the receipts for a foundation, puts them to good use other than reminding you of what the groceries cost these days. Some of the ones I get are two feet long with all the extras they put on them.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness! Please don't use your grocery receipts for foundations. Have you ever left one lay on the counter and it got wet? That ink is very hard to get off the counter. Just think what it would do to your quilt when it is washed. You don't want ink in your quilt.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I use either used dryer sheets or fabric that is too thin to use for the face as a base for both string and crumb quilts. Using a fabric base stabilizes the scraps that are being sewed together. Sometimes I use very small pieces for crumb quilts. For the string quilts, I use whatever strings that I have. They may be wider on one end than the other. This means that one side of the strip is on the bias. The foundation stabilizes it. I just use a strip cut in the opposite direction for the next string.This method does not result in as pretty quilt as one where uniform width strips that match with the previous block, but it uses up more scraps and makes a perfectly good utility quilt. It is easy, mindless, relaxing sewing, and some people especially like the effect.
    Happy quilting Grandma

Quiltville.com with Bonnie Hunter has used adding machine tape to use up all those crumbs. It helps to stablize while using all those little pieces. When she is done she flips it over and cuts to size. The adding machine tape just give her a size to shoot for.

Blog Entries
    I have discovered that the used fabric softener sheets work really great for that foundation piece....the quilt doesnt get heavy like when you use fabric for the foundation...and it smells good too.....you dont have to remove anything the way you do with paper..it washes just fine.....and you can trim it to whatever size you need.
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Blog Entries
    So beautiful! I like the second one particularly, but they are all lovely. Nice pic of your super straight scrappy strips too!
    I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    . However I do like the idea of using the receipts for a foundation, puts them to good use other than reminding you of what the groceries cost these days. Some of the ones I get are two feet long with all the extras they put on them.
    Oh my goodness! Please don't use your grocery receipts for foundations. Have you ever left one lay on the counter and it got wet? That ink is very hard to get off the counter. Just think what it would do to your quilt when it is washed. You don't want ink in your quilt.[/QUOTE]
    The paper is removed after piecing.....so won't be affected by washing!!
    Hilary

I definately have to try this!! I have so many scraps and keep saying that "one day" I will try a scrap quilt...this sounds like it can be done while doing something else! I like the idea of having two quilts done at once!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    Please don't use your grocery receipts for foundations. Have you ever left one lay on the counter and it got wet? That ink is very hard to get off the counter.

Well, most receipts nowadays are thermal, which means they turn black when you iron them. Yet another reason to stick with the adding machine tape.

Everyone has a fave way to do foundation piecing. My least fave is using any type of paper that needs to be removed. Some people leave it on but when you wash it, it gets kinda balled up and noisy even. It was so messy to rip out paper and it made some of the stitches come loose. Once was enough, now I use a fabric foundation.

My fave way is to use the most inexpensive muslin I can find and on sale OR I've used some thin ugly fabric from my stash (I would not use it for a quilt top or backing) and stitch the strings etc to the wrong side, so it is least likely to show thru to light colored fabrics.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

You really did make some very nice scrappies! I have to keep looking back and admiring, especially the first and third ones. thanks for sharing.

thank you so much....i know some people don`t like tearing the paper after, but I don`t mind...i do it as I sew....and so the stiches don`t pull out I backstitch everytime I start or stop.....i know....i`m a bit crazy...but it works for me...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
    You really did make some very nice scrappies! I have to keep looking back and admiring, especially the first and third ones. thanks for sharing.

thank you so much....i know some people don`t like tearing the paper after, but I don`t mind...i do it as I sew....and so the stiches don`t pull out I backstitch everytime I start or stop.....i know....i`m a bit crazy...but it works for me...lol
    HuntAnnette ... I haven't tried your adding machine paper method ... though when I do PPing, I shorten my stitches right up, and the paper comes off easily .......... and no backstitching!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

true....i do too....but sometimes when you pull the paper off the stitches still loosen up so i backstitch anyways just to be safe...it is a habit now lol
    HuntAnnette ... I haven't tried your adding machine paper method ... though when I do PPing, I shorten my stitches right up, and the paper comes off easily .......... and no backstitching!

true....i do too....but sometimes when you pull the paper off the stitches still loosen up so i backstitch anyways just to be safe...it is a habit now lol
    Old habits die hard!
    My stitching is so tiny ... sometimes the paper comes off, before it needs to .... and then the painter's tape comes to the rescue as a bandaid!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I make my string quilts using muslim as a foundation

that works too...actually i`ve started two tie quilts using muslin foundation....well thy are UFO`s hmmm maybe I should find them and finish them....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I make my string quilts using muslim as a foundation

lol yeps.....hey great idea .....thanks
    Old habits die hard!
    My stitching is so tiny ... sometimes the paper comes off, before it needs to .... and then the painter's tape comes to the rescue as a bandaid!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast