Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
    For crumb quilts you WANT the edges to fray. That's the charm.
    "CRUMB" quilts are supposed to fray? Or do you mean rag quilts? I've never seen a crumb quilt with frayed edges. We are talking about the Bonnie Hunter type of crumb quilts, right? Or is there a different kind of crumb quilt? Help!

Blog Entries
    I thought I got this pattern until I tried it. Oh dear what a mess. I as doing what the class described as an easy table runner. Give me an intermediate pattern an time. I PM a quilter on here who has made a spectacular 3 braid runner for a wedding present. She sent me a list of titles of some excellent books. Go through pictures and look for the 3 braid quilt in warm reds. You may need to go through a few pages but it is a beauty. Good luck.
    Finished is better than a UFO

huntannette, thanks for posting pics. I was not really interested in doing one of these until I saw your pics. I especially love the one with the red sashing. Did you do the quilting freemotion? Really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
    I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...
    I finally found a roll of adding machine tape to do this. I usually chain sew my strips, how do you do the adding machine tape-sew and cut the thread each time you add a piece? I guess I need to go find the original tutorial. I think I have it bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
    For crumb quilts you WANT the edges to fray. That's the charm.
    When my crumbs quilts fray it's because I wasn't paying attention when sewing and missed a seam, my 1/4" seams is closer to a 1/16" or 1/32"

Are you sure you are thinking crumb quilts?
    Last edited by charity-crafter; 01-18-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Check out the fantastic Tutoriahttp://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/string-piecing-adding-machine-paper-t56940.htmll by Sue Fish!!
    Hilary

If you want to see a really WOW crumb quilt,check this one!!! Made by Izy!!http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...on-t13771.html
    Hilary

Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
    I finally found a roll of adding machine tape to do this. I usually chain sew my strips, how do you do the adding machine tape-sew and cut the thread each time you add a piece? I guess I need to go find the original tutorial. I think I have it bookmarked.
    I usually use a foundation of a very long (say 90") strip of muslin as my foundations. Then, I start somewhere in the middle of the strip. I lay down two sort-of rectangular strips on each then chain sew the strips. It can be awkward initially as there is lots of unsewn fabric hanging out. After about a foot or sew, I can sew down both sides of the strip in a chain-sew, without cutting until I've attached pieces to all the foundations.

for some reason, I am unable to upload a pic. Sorry.
    Laurie in NYC

Amazing what I learn here!!
    I'll never live long enough to try out all the neat ideas and tricks from the great board.

Finally I get it. Great idea, and the pictures of finished quilts really helped.
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

crumb quilt vs. crazy quilt

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    If you want to see a really WOW crumb quilt,check this one!!! Made by Izy!!http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...on-t13771.html
    besides the fact that there is no embroidery stitches over the seams, it seems that crumb is the same as crazy?? I thought crumbs were bits of fab to small to sew w/seams so were put onto a foundation and either fancy sewed all over or even covered with a piece of tulle and then sewed over using various emb. stitches....not as a full quilt, but rather a decorative thing. So what is this technique called....thanks......

You can also use used dryer sheets for foundation for string quilts. We had a national teacher come to our guild and she made one with fabric from every project and eventually had enough for a top and rememberane of each project she had completed.

I use adding machine paper....it is easier to sew small strips together....you just have to cut the sides even when you have a whole roll finished ...got the idea on th QB...i`ve done quite a few quilts this way...
    Thanks for the wonderful explanation and examples. I am going to get a roll of paper real soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
    I think maybe she is talking about the cash register receipt rolls. I read somewhere that you could use these, then cut the excess off the edges and you would have a straight strip. My grandma and great grandma used pages out of the Sears catalog. Folded one end over to make a square then cut off the excess. Made the perfect block for sewing your strips to. I remember sewing these for them when I was a kid. I've used paper, muslin, scrap fabric (ugly) haha and interfacing scraps.
    I agree that she is referring to adding machine paper or cash register rolls of paper, not actually receipts. I too, have used the same as Teddybear for foundation piecing.

No I didn`t ...wish I couldactually that one was done by Charisma in one of our trades.....my sis-in-law got that one.....i was a bit puzzled as how to quilt it but C knew what to do.....
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl222 View Post
    huntannette, thanks for posting pics. I was not really interested in doing one of these until I saw your pics. I especially love the one with the red sashing. Did you do the quilting freemotion? Really nice!

You don't need to go out and buy paper. Use trash fabric. Old bed sheets work perfectly, especially the parts that are very worn, but not worn through. The sides of a fitted sheets are usually not worn much at all, and if you use those, you will add a lot of weight to your quilt. I tear mine in different widths, from 2 1/2 to 4 or even 5 inches, and piece them to make strips a little longer than I want my quilt to be.

I put a piece of fabric, face up, on the top of one strip, then put the second piece face down, Be sure the side you will be sewing on is STRAIGHT. The edge of the first piece doesn't have to be straight, just the next piece. Sew it in a seam, anything wider than an eight of an inch will do. Flip it so it covers the next spot on the foundation strip. Then add the next piece. Here is where I start a new strip so that I can chain sew. I usually have four going at once; sew a piece to all four then cut off the first three and bring them to the front and sew on another piece. All those long tails sometimes get kind of tangled, but I've learned to handle that. After all the strips are covered and you have enough for the width you want, sew them all together. A scrappy binding looks good on this. Use all your left-over binding pieces and sew them together. If some are very long, I cut them up.

I've made three like this. They are called Confetti Quilts.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Oh, I like the idea of recycling those dryer sheets...would you still need to remove them, or no?

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    You don't need to go out and buy paper..
    Very true, but if you already have the rolls of paper it's a good way to use them. My parents had one of those adding machines from back in the "olden" days. When I visited I dug around the desk and found a roll.

I've used fabric and telephone books as foundation also. It's all in what you have around the house handy.

You don't have to use foundation at all if you don't want to. It just makes it more sturdy as you put it all together. I take the papers off after I get the quilt put together one evening while watching TV.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    besides the fact that there is no embroidery stitches over the seams, it seems that crumb is the same as crazy?? I thought crumbs were bits of fab to small to sew w/seams so were put onto a foundation and either fancy sewed all over or even covered with a piece of tulle and then sewed over using various emb. stitches....not as a full quilt, but rather a decorative thing. So what is this technique called....thanks......
    The difference between Crumbs and crazies: crumbs are chain stitched. You usually start with a strip of one fabric that isn't a scrap and sew scraps to it. That unifies your eventual blocks, and it makes it easier to start sewing the scraps together. Then you cut that strip apart, and you chain sew scraps to the resulting pieces. You keep sewing until you have pieces big enough to cut squares, usually 6" squares. The other difference: crumbs are sewn together with sashing - another way of taming the wildness (or craziness) of all those scraps.

great info... thanks

Blog Entries
    One thing to remember when using paper foundation is to decrease your stitch size. Smaller stitches will perforate your paper more and make it easier to remove.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    Check out the fantastic Tutoriahttp://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/string-piecing-adding-machine-paper-t56940.htmll by Sue Fish!!
    do you have the actual link for this.. I am unable to find this when I type it in
    Don't do to others what you do NOT want done to yourself

Blog Entries
    Your quilts are very pretty. Now I have another one on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMiller View Post
    do you have the actual link for this.. I am unable to find this when I type it in
    Here's a hot link for you ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html

BTW there was no need to type it all in ... I just cut and pasted it into the browser and was there.
    Then cut and pasted it here, so you had the hot link.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I've been reading about this method for some time, but it took these great pictures for me to get some motivation! I'm off to finally do some sewing after a bit of a slump.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Here's a hot link for you ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html

BTW there was no need to type it all in ... I just cut and pasted it into the browser and was there.
    Then cut and pasted it here, so you had the hot link.
    Thanks QuiltE!!! Thats what I tried to do but I'm not too computer savvy!! DUH!! I get it right sometimes!! Thanks for coming to my rescue!!
    Hilary

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast