Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If the pattern says use flannel.......

I just found a quilting pattern that I think my daughter would just love, but it says to use flannel material. Do I have to use flannel, or is it ok to use regular cotton? I know...there's no quilting police......but I was just wondering if there would be any changes to the construction? Any thoughts out there about this?

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    I just found a quilting pattern that I think my daughter would just love, but it says to use flannel material. Do I have to use flannel, or is it ok to use regular cotton? I know...there's no quilting police......but I was just wondering if there would be any changes to the construction? Any thoughts out there about this?
    I am sure you could substitute 100% cotton for the flannel the pattern maker was probably going for a certain look that flannel would give. Of course now that I've written that what kind of pattern is it?

Can you give us a little more info, like what is the pattern, etc?

I have made a quilt using cotton that called for flannel and didn't run into a single problem and the quilt turned out perfect! Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Can you give us a little more info, like what is the pattern, etc?
    Gosh, it was a star kind of pattern that I saw in an "Easy Quilts" magazine. But other than that, I'm not sure what else to call it. It sure was pretty, though! (I'm sure that helps a lot!)

A whole quilt made out of flannel? Sounds so warm and wonderful...ok not what you asked but I just finished my first quilt top and its a crib quilt so Im not even going to try to offer any help....but Id LOVE an all flannel quilt! Add another project to my ever growing list if stuff I need to make.

Id use the cotton, I don't see why it would not work.

If it is a "rag" quilt then the flannel works best because it frays nicely but if the raw edges are not showing then it shouldn't make a difference to use cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring
    A whole quilt made out of flannel? Sounds so warm and wonderful...ok not what you asked but I just finished my first quilt top and its a crib quilt so Im not even going to try to offer any help....but Id LOVE an all flannel quilt! Add another project to my ever growing list if stuff I need to make.

Id use the cotton, I don't see why it would not work.
    I made an all flannel quilt for her sister--who just loves it and took it off to college, but my oldest daughter told me if she had her druthers, she would rather have a quilt that was made out of regular cotton. I think all flannel sounds so much warmer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    If this is going to be a shaggy or chenille quilt--there is a reason the pattern calls for flannel. It ravels/unravels differently. What is the pattern?

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    Often, flannel patterns call for a 1/2" seam. That might make a difference in size if you use a 1/4" seam on a cotton quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast