Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in the doldrums! >

I'm in the doldrums!

I'm in the doldrums!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Does it matter that it's the perfect project or the project that turns you on? As long as it's a project, do it. As long as a project gets me off my butt when I'm feeling like you and gets me moving, I do it, and I don't care what it is. I don't care if it's cutting strips from my leftovers or dusting the living room furniture. As long as it gets me up and moving I do it. It's still decorated for Christmas here. I usually get the way you are when the Christmas music stops and all of the decorations are away and the true bareness of winter hits me. Then I need to get up and get myself going. I've signed up for several quilting classes this winter through March. That'll help. It's a matter of day by day doing little things to get me moving and get me through the day until I see a blossom or two for spring. Do you read? Read a book. I could go on and on, but the problem is I have to do it. Nobody can do it for me.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

The secret, I think, is that we each have a choice when we wake up to be happy or sad. I know it's hard to put on a happy face sometimes, but I get up, take my shower, put on some makeup, fix my hair and all of a sudden I feel better! Try to do something that makes you happy - I call a friend or neighbor who I think might be feeling the same way, and all of a sudden, we're cheering each other up! Try it, you might like it!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltin'nana
The secret, I think, is that we each have a choice when we wake up to be happy or sad. I know it's hard to put on a happy face sometimes, but I get up, take my shower, put on some makeup, fix my hair and all of a sudden I feel better! Try to do something that makes you happy - I call a friend or neighbor who I think might be feeling the same way, and all of a sudden, we're cheering each other up! Try it, you might like it!
Such an awesome post!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Further to yesterdays post:- I've been thinking of all the quilting sisters(and maybe brothers too) who are feeling down or can't get motivated.
I have times when I can't get motivated (sometimes a couple of months) and do understand where you are all coming from but on giving it some thought I think we sometimes put too many demands on ourselves and our quilting.
Most of us on here, I think, quilt for the love of it. A lot of us, me included, have stashes that we will never use up in one lifetime of quilting. Hence we turn what started out as a hobby and a pleasure into something more demanding.
I used to worry about not using it all before I die but have given DD & DH instruction of what to do with it and now realize I don't need to worry because I won't be here. That's solved that. Now I can quilt or not quilt as I choose.
When I can't get motivated I move on to something else, knitting, reading,embroidery, visiting friends. Although I have been retired for 8 1/2 years I still have to remind myself that it is alright to simply sit & do nothing, "no guilt/quilt required". {Have you ever noticed there is only the tail of one letter difference between guilt & quilt}.
Eventually my machines call me back. If I start some machine embroidery it doesn't take long for the motivation for a new quilt to arrive.
Anyway I hope everyone is feeling better today. Life is just returning to normal. As John Lennon so aptly sang "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans".
I wish everyone a wonderful day.
Smiles
Jude