Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt >

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
Amish finished is the way I'd go if this were mine. Beautiful quilt.

You can google.....example...."Amish near ------ Idaho" you should come up with a location of a Amish community. I found several in Idaho. Then you can google to see if there are any online Amish businesses in that location. They have English do websites for them. You could contact that business & ask them if they know of any that make quilts & their location. The other option would be to drive to the location they live & speak to them, as they normally only use phones for emergency services. However some Amish communities now permit using phones now for business, so the business may have a phone. I am sure there would be some there that make quilts. You would need to make sure you request "hand stitched", as many Amish now use sewing machines. They just plug them into a generator. Set up every detail...i.e., the type of batting, type/style of quilting, binding fabric, hand stitched, price, etc. You should do it in writing.

Thank-you for the suggestions Feather, I did look at some sites last night it's another option and I so appreciate your detailed response.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Gorgeous quilt and I agree with the others that it begs to be finished and the corners must remain as-is. The back should be muslin. The binding could be whatever you want, but my grandmother made several of these and she always matched the binding to one of the colors in the 4-patches. I don't know if that is the "traditional" way, but just another option for you to ponder. Please post it again when you finish it!
Thank-you Wesing for you kind words and suggestions, I will be following your grandmothers lead and match with either the green or yellow, which Jan in VA says Kona still makes these colors.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I too would inquire with finding a group to hand quilt this quilt top. Many churches still have groups that hand quilt other quilt tops and donate the money to their churches. I would use Dream Cotton batting. I would try to match the green in the diamond or see what matches the best. Yes, you will have to make bias bindings going around those curves.
Thank-you ManiacQuilter2 for your suggestion about checking with churches for hand quilting services. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my request for suggestions.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
What a treasure! I would do a facing rather than a binding. It will leave the edges nice and flat and preserve the wonderful shape. Plus it's much easier to do.
I also would do it with a facing. I've seen some Grandmother's Flower Garden done this way - lots of funky edges on that too.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I agree with others to do whatever you can to maintain the integrity of the scalloped edges. There are tons of tutes and You Tube videos about binding a scalloped edge quilt. So either take the plunge to do it yourself or hire someone. Don't cut it.

As far as batting I would highly recommend consulting with your longarmer on that. DWR quilts are notorious for being a bit full in spots (especially when hand pieced) and it will be very difficult for your LAQ to quilt out the fullness without getting tucks and pleats with a batting as flat as warm and natural or warm and white. She or He will probably need to evaluate the quilt and based on that you can make a decision together based on the quilts condition, the longarmers expertise and most importantly your wants. Your photos show the top to be in great condition and I am not seeing any fullness but it is hard to tell from a photo.
Thank-you feline fanatic for your time in responding to my post. The scalloped edges (gentle curves) don't intimidate me it's the four patch inward corners (sharp inward corners so close together) that I'm stressing about. No I won't be cutting it, reading all the suggestions in this thread have convinced me that I can not 'ruin' the integrity of the design by doing that.

I especially appreciate your comments on the batting dealing with fullness and tucks, pleats. I asked him last night and he agrees that once, should I decide to have him quilt it, he will choose the best batting for this quilt. He has many, many years of LA quilting under his belt. Everyone that has looked at this quilt closely have remarked on the condition of the fabrics, there are just a couple of the white muslin pieces that look a little off color. I do think there are places of fullness, but nothing major to 'my' eye.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I suppose "scallop" was the wrong word to use. Here is a google search I did on Binding a double wedding ring quilt

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20ring%20quilt
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 AM

After watching the video by Shar Jorgensen I see that she used double folded bias binding. It was suggested to me when I took a class for the double wedding ring quilt that we not double the binding. The instructor said the binding would be too bulky. I wouldn't disagree with Shar (she is the expert) and her's is the pattern that I used to make my quilt, but this is just a suggestion to think about. My quilt is done and just waiting to be sandwiched, quilted, and bound. This has to be the most difficult quilt I have made so far, and I am determined to finish it--someday. lol By the way, your quilt is beautiful.
Sue
Old 01-07-2016, 05:12 PM

It is gorgeous.

I have a bit of yardage of light green gingham, small gingham either 1/8" or 1/4", 36" wide, so is truly "vintage", but probably not as old as your 50's & 60's, altho it could be... PM me if you want it. It is yours. It belongs with something as special as your quilt. It is in the same family of green as the green next to the coral on the far left, both on the edge of the quilt. It is not quite as vibrant as that, but I would classify it in the apple green category.

Facing it is a great idea.

If you want to bind it, I googled DWR, and found a possible answer to your question about that pointy square sticking out on the edges. None of the ones showing their edges have that square. You might consider taking off that square, that makes it all scallop edges.

https://www.google.com/search?q=doub...w=1280&bih=891

Last edited by quiltmouse; 01-07-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 AM
Gay

I agree with Dunster about a 'facing'. After quilting, cut strips about 4-5" wide,( either of backing fabric or to match the front) long enough to do the 4 sides. Place one strip along an edge of the right side, pin to hold in place and stitch 1/4" in around the edge. You will probably have to mitre the corners. When that's done you may have to snip a bit into the 'V' corners, trim the outside excess fabric, then turn it inside out. You then have a facing to stitch down by hand. Much easier.

Some do this with baby quilts, placing the whole backing fabric on the top side of the quilt, and sewing all around except for 6-10", then turning it inside out. That's called 'birthing' the quilt.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Gay; 01-08-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 AM

There are still some church groups that do quilting and binding. See if there is one in your area and consult with them about your quilt. Or contact the nearest quilt guild and ask for help there, you may find someone who will bind it for you. Please do NOT cut the edges off.