Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Largest Quilt Shop in America? >

Largest Quilt Shop in America?

Largest Quilt Shop in America?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM

We here in Bakersfield, CA have F&M Fabrics. They are pretty big in size, I think 20,000 sq ft from what I can tell, but they have fabric from floor to ceiling on industrial sized racks, all of their rolls are full sized, not on flat folds. Aisle upon aisle, it's like a Huge warehouse... kinda like homedepot!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-04-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM

I do know it is Not in La Grande, OR.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-04-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 12-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Hi from Austria (Europe), I am not a quilter but my wife is an enthusiast. This is a quite old tread but it inspired me for a birthday for her 75th birthday. Well, yes, there a quilt shops in Austria, but really expensive and very small. So I thought that I give her as a present a trip to the biggest quilt shop in the world. You've discussed this in full detail and I really read this thread through. I then mailed to Mary Jo's but they don't think that they are the largest. So I searched for the shops mentioned here and took a look at Google street maps to have an impression.

I really seek your advice to choose not only the shop(s) but also the area. What I take into account till now is
http://www.robertssewingcenter.com/ and
http://mandlfabricsdiscountstore.com/
they seems to me really huge and we can drive between them. I also have the impression that in the LA area are many quilt shops.

So, what is your opinion about ma idea? Any textile-kind points of interest in this area?

Well, I have to say, that my wife is grown up with textiles, has played with a peace of fabric at the age of 3. And as occupation - she was lecturer for creative development for teachers.

Thank you in advance

Gottfried

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: PM
Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Since this thread is so old, many of these shops may have closed or changed significantly in the past 6 years. Be sure your information is up to date. So many of our quaint little quilt shops have closed due to on-line competition. I hope you find a shop that suits your needs; sounds like a fun trip.
I would also encourage you to check out Hancock's of Paducah, and Missouri Star Quilt Company. Hancock's is in a quilting town. There are several other stores that cater to quilters, and of course this is the town where the big Quilt Show is in April. I don't think you want to go at that time; it is a madhouse, and you would not be able to enjoy the many amenities Paducah offers. Just too darned crowded then!
Also, regarding Missouri Star, this company has converted several old building in the small town to quilt shops. There are different stores for batiks, florals, trademarked fabrics like Disney, sports, etc.
But I must tell you that Missouri Star is for quilters, so I don't think one would find other types of fabric there such as sheers, knits, corduroy, dress designer fabrics.
Please let us know what you decide on. This sounds like a fun adventure. What a great husband you are to want to plan this for your wife's birthday!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 AM

I also wanted to tell you the piece you designed is beautiful. Very bold and colorful!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Hi Gottfried
Re the biggest U.S. quilt shop, I really don't know - but many of the famous ones have been mentioned here. I would like to suggest a bit of a change in plans. Instead of a single quilt shop, please consider one of the major quilt shows. Two that quickly come to mind are
Paducah Ky - AQS - spring 2018
Houston Texas - Quilts Inc - November 2018
You can find them online - and I am sure other folks have many other suggestions. I live in Philadelphia - which is not a huge quilting area, but we do have 2 big shows every year. One in the spring in Lancaster Pa (AQS) which I think is pretty big - but I have never been to that one. The other, which I almost always get to is PNQE -(Mancuso) Sept 2018. It is considered a mid size show but it is close to overwhelming for me.
What they all have in common are: hundreds of awesomely beautiful and original quilts on display, vendors from all over the country selling fabrics and notions (from pins and needles to $5000 cutting tables) and many (if not all) of the major sewing and quilting machine manufacturers. Quilters often go to the shows to try out different machines before making a major purchase. They also have classes taught by internationally known quilters. The shows are typically about 4 days. The variety and number of fabric vendors alone should rival most quilt stores - even huge ones.
There are also a number of quilt and textile museums, and depending on your itinerary, they might be convenient - and worthwhile to visit. You can find them online - Lincoln, Nebraska// Paducah, Kentucky// San Diego California//
and San Jose California - are all well known, but I believe the one in Nebraska is the big girl on the block.
I am sure that whatever you choose will be a wonderful present for your wife, and thank you for posting pictures of her work.
Lefty in Philly

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: to match orig post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Thank you soooo much - but I can't say my wife anything bevor your Birthday :-)
I plan a surprise :-)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
Since this thread is so old, many of these shops may have closed or changed significantly in the past 6 years. Be sure your information is up to date. So many of our quaint little quilt shops have closed due to on-line competition. I hope you find a shop that suits your needs; sounds like a fun trip.
I would also encourage you to check out Hancock's of Paducah, and Missouri Star Quilt Company. Hancock's is in a quilting town. There are several other stores that cater to quilters, and of course this is the town where the big Quilt Show is in April. I don't think you want to go at that time; it is a madhouse, and you would not be able to enjoy the many amenities Paducah offers. Just too darned crowded then!
Also, regarding Missouri Star, this company has converted several old building in the small town to quilt shops. There are different stores for batiks, florals, trademarked fabrics like Disney, sports, etc.
But I must tell you that Missouri Star is for quilters, so I don't think one would find other types of fabric there such as sheers, knits, corduroy, dress designer fabrics.
Please let us know what you decide on. This sounds like a fun adventure. What a great husband you are to want to plan this for your wife's birthday!
Paducah is not just a quilt town. It is Quilt City USA. The fabric in town is definitely a draw but if you go be sure to see the Quilt Museum, the stained glass windows alone are worth the visit.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Another option is Missouri Star quilts in Hamilton, MO. 11 different shops with a total of 25,000 bolts of fabric. And a lounge for those who don’t shop.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:02 PM

A & E Pharmacy in Pensacola, Flotida...30 thousand bolts! I was there in 2016

sandy

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-04-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps