Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magnifier vs. Video Feed >

Magnifier vs. Video Feed

Magnifier vs. Video Feed

Old 11-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

With the Big Look I don't have to tilt my head, I lower my eyes and see everything. The magnifier is not at needle level, it's at eye level.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:28 PM

Unless you put the camera for the video feed on the front of your machine preferably in line with how you look at your machine it would be very hard to use. There would also be a considerable learning to curve to learn to look at the feed and use your hands on the machine below. I would also be concerned about the reliability of the video feed (we all know how tricky tech stuff can be) and as someone stated there could be delays or even pauses. Another concern would be how sharp a pic you would get. If you don't have a very sharp picture, it's not going to be usable.

My husband has used a Go Pro video camera but not for a live feed. I really can't remember how good the picture was.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:42 PM

I recently had DH cut me from styrofoam a form fitted 'table' to fit my machine. He used 2-2" thick slabs of insulation from left overs so they measured just about 18" to the left of the machine bed an wrapped around the free arm of the machine. I then stacked the two pieces and covered them with a heavy gauge plastic. And as for being able to see I have a 1" plastic raised bed form at the back and wedging to nothing at the front so my machine is then tilted forward enabling me to see at this angle instead of having me to strain looking at the he area of the needle. Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well but if you would like to see a picture I will try to send one. Just send me a PM. I'm too cheap to spend money on a table made for my machine! A Margurite ? has a table made from full size sheets (or at least almost full size sheets) tutorial out on the web. Good luck to you!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I have problems with my shoulder and neck so I know how painful it can be. If you are having to bend your neck to see, it sounds like you need to raise your table or lower your chair. I do have the magnifying set for my Bernina and I use them when I sew on dark colours. I can see by just lowering my eye not my neck. I have no experience with a video feed. You might go over to Amy's site as she does video for her site and ask her. She is also a member of QB but her site is www.freemotionquiltingadventures.com
Old 11-26-2015, 08:24 PM

Thank you all so much for your ideas! My brother has suggested getting a USB microscope. I'm going to try that (hook up to laptop next to sewing table & then put the monitor behind the machine at the back of the table & connect that to the laptop). I will update this thread once I've had a chance to try it out.

I have already tried the other ideas & they didn't work out. I was able to get shims underneath the front of my machine & that helped at bit. The main problem is that I am 5'11" and have a very long torso & long neck. My table/machine is at the proper height for my arms. My chair is at the proper height for my legs & back. The issue is that I either need to slink down in my chair, hurting my back, or I need to bend my neck forward as far as it goes (which isn't far since I have almost no range of motion to bend my neck forward due to past surgeries). I realize it will be a learning curve to quilt while watching a raised monitor, but I learned to touch type with my monitor sitting on top of 3 phone books, so I'm sure it's possible to learn to move my hands to quilt while looking at a monitor -- it's just a matter of lots of practice ... which will be more do-able once I can sit up straight with my neck in a more natural, ergonomic position.

If that doesn't work, I will either have to look into ordering a magnifier or contact Amy about a video feed.

Again, thank you all so much for your ideas. They truly helped!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:54 AM

I think your machine table needs to be higher. Maybe put it up on wood blocks or a wood platform.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM

Makers of quilting videos are filming and I assume someone is monitoring the recording. They might have a special resolution monitor for real time. You might look at photographic supplies.
Here's a link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...camera-monitor
You could probably use a table top monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/On...4/N/4028759510

There are other camera stores that might have more info
Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
I think your machine table needs to be higher. Maybe put it up on wood blocks or a wood platform.
It sounds like that to me, too. I have an adjustable height chair so I can get the height of the chair right for the height of my sewing table
Old 11-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I recently got a sewing table so my machine is at proper height for my arms, but now I'm struggling to see. My machine is now flat instead of tilted & it's now 3" lower. Bernina sells magnifiers for my machine, but I was wondering whether I might just be better off setting up a large computer monitor at eye level & aiming a video camera at my machine needle so that way I'm not having to strain my neck by looking downward for hours while quilting. Has anybody tried a live video feed? How did it work?

Also wondering if anyone was getting neck/shoulder pain from tilting neck down to see where to quilt, but was helped by a magnifier. I have close to 20/20 vision & TONS of bright lighting in my sewing studio (plus natural light from windows with a UV film) so it's not my vision. I've had multiple neck & back surgeries so tilting my neck down is difficult & very painful, but I'm not about to give up a hobby/job I love this much!
I have the same issues due to past injuries, and what worked for me was using a former "teacher's desk" that I got at a resale shop to set my machine on, and then lowering my sewing chair untill I was eye level with the needle. I just have to use the edge of the desk to help me get up, but it makes sewing much easier. Fidget until you find what works. You could try adding a platform of some kind on the desk you have, that might also work. As long as your feet are comfortably on the floor, you will work better for the effort.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:59 PM

I use the Big Look and it can be adjusted easily--it makes me sit back in my chair--be sure the table is set so the work surface is keeping your elbows at a 90 degree angle--it has helped with my neck and shoulder issues--look them upnon-line and see what you think.