Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing materials in a rag quilt? >

Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Here's an idea to make the blankets ever easier and a whole lot faster. Cut strips (WOF 42/43") 7"to 9" wide. Fabric is about 42", so that would be a good width for little guys--------even bigger guys. Skip the batting and add a layer of solid color flannel for softness and warmth. You can make one in a few evenings after the kids are asleep. Save the squares for a time when you have more time.

Oh, if you do the WOF strips, make sure you rip off 1/8" along the selvages or the ends won't ravel out.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I've been quilting for years, but just found someone who wants a rag quilt...SO, I'm making my first one. I used cotton with batting squares in the middle. I haven't washed it yet, but do have to say I did not enjoy the batting being smaller than the fabric squares (according to a youtube video). It was very difficult to keep that 1/2" seam, and for the perfectionist I am, it was quite frustrating.

I saw another video where they used same size batting as squares...that would be much easier to sew, would there be any downfalls?
Next time, skip the batting and use solid color flannel----same size as your squares------for the inner warm layer. I refuse to fight bits of batting.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Joyfilled View Post
Got the rag quilt scissors!

Ummm....I guess I meant minky for the bottom layer (sorry....don't know all the right terms yet!). Would that work?
One of God's greatest inventions, well, Fiskars, anyway. Yes the backing is the back piece--------but Minky won't ravel.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM

I've been quilting for years, but just found someone who wants a rag quilt...SO, I'm making my first one. I used cotton with batting squares in the middle. I haven't washed it yet, but do have to say I did not enjoy the batting being smaller than the fabric squares (according to a youtube video). It was very difficult to keep that 1/2" seam, and for the perfectionist I am, it was quite frustrating.

I saw another video where they used same size batting as squares...that would be much easier to sew, would there be any downfalls?
Yes, big downfall----------who wants to see clipped batting all over a quilt?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Joyfilled, I've been badmouthing the minky for a rag quilt. Won't happen in this house. If you really, really, really want Minky, just know the clipped pieces will NOT look like the clipped edges of your woven fabrics. If that is not a problem for you, far be it for me to tell you not to use Minky.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM

Thank you! That's where I was heading...I'm not super satisfied with the first one, so "take 2" is coming up. I used the 1/2" fringe/seam, but this time I think I'm going for 3/4 to 1" for more fluff. I also notice that the outside fringe is very thin since its only 2 layers of cotton, hoping that will be fluffier with the flannel in between also?

This is after 2 washing/drying sessions...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500173[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Next time, skip the batting and use solid color flannel----same size as your squares------for the inner warm layer. I refuse to fight bits of batting.
Attached Thumbnails 1st-rag-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Hi, I have made several rag quilts with no batting. I just use two layers of flannel and it is heavy enough. Yes You need to wash and dry your fabric so all the shrinking is done. Sew with 1/2 inch or more seams. I clip the edges about every 5/8 inch apart or a little more. Yes i do the x in the middle of each square. Good luck and show us your results. Those rag scissors are great and your hands won't hurt. I hope we all have not confused you.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM

The last time I made a rag quilt, I used flannel as the middle layer square and same size as the outer layers. Frayed wonderfully.
If you use the batting as the middle layer and it is the same size, you will see the batting which may or may not be attractive to you.