Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing materials in a rag quilt? >

Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Old 11-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Question Mixing materials in a rag quilt?

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to quilting....sewing for that matter. So new, I've never made a quilt! I have high aspirations though. I have 4 kids, and want to make each of them a rag quilt for Christmas. The finished product will be 9" blocks (12" to start with), 7 x 5. I have no idea if I'm even saying this in correct quilting terms, so please bear with me.

My question is this: I have all the material that I need to make them, including batting for the middle. Some cotton fabrics and some flannel, with minky (is that what it's called?) fabric for the background. The thing is, I'm hearing a LOT of different opinions on this. My aunt says I shouldn't mix the fabrics. Others say there is no problem. Some say that I should wash everything before I cut and sew, others that I shouldn't. ARGH! So many different opinions!! What do you all think? Can anyone offer me some tried and true advice? I'd appreciate it so very much!

I plan on just working on one quilt at a time, and finish as I'm able....although the goal is Christmas, I'm hoping for the best!

Edited to add: I also know the basics of sewing, and am confident I can sew in a straight line....haha!

Last edited by Joyfilled; 11-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:25 PM

most "rules" are just opinions but some are sound advice. I say wash if you think it may shrink or bleed, flannel shrinks a LOT, I don't think minky will "rag" or ravel very much but will be incredibly soft! You'll learn a whloe lot on your first one so hurry and get started, you're missing the fun!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:25 PM

I agree with Kathy, rules are mostly opinions. But there are a few tests you may want to take before you cut everything up and sew it all together. Defnitely wash the flannels. They don't shrink even. You might want to try the minky out on a small piece to see if it "rags". I think all cotton fabrics are so much easier to handle and sew. I've never made a rag quilt, but I have friends who say the rag scissors make the process easier. Just do your testing and Happy Sewing!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I just have a question. You said you are going to start with 12" blocks and wind up with 9" blocks? Are you thinking one and a half inch seams???
Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 PM

I agree with the others about rules. Now about mixing fabrics. You can put whatever you like together. Just note that on a rag quilt the finished blocks will be cut to rag out. Different types of fabric will not rag the same. If this look appeals to you, go for it. But definitely prewash the flannel. It will shrink more than the other fabs. Just have fun with the process. Your kids will love it however it turns out. My husband thinks all my quilts should be rag quilts. They are great.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Oh, how exciting!! Thank you so much for your responses!! Now I really can't wait to get started. With 3 at three and under, though, I better wait until they go to bed. Just in about an hour!

I thought I'd start with my son's quilt. That one has the most flannel, but also has some bandanna fabric and jean material. And...his had the cheapest fabric.

I have no idea how it will all look when finished....I appreciate your encouragement!

To answer your question, Paper Princess, I thought I'd start with BIG blocks as this is my first attempt and I didn't want to get too discouraged. I think this is how my thought process went, please correct me if I'm wrong, or my measurements are off.....I start with 12" fabric squares, batting of 9". Sew an X through them once assembled. Then sew them together with 1" seams, then cut the rags in half inch cuts. Does this make sense? I'd appreciate y'alls input!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

Quite often when using flannel for raggy quilts we use a 1/2" seam, (12" blocks with 11" batting squares, X across the squares of top, batting back) join squares w/ 1/2" seams then clip, clip, clip ( the closer the better for good full * chenille like,* ragging) you clip down to almost the seam line, being careful to not clip the seam. ( minky doesn't work well, it does not fray/ rag just gets stringy.... Cottons, cotton flannel, and homespun s work great for raggy quilts. After finishing construction and clipping give it a good shake outside before washing, then again between the washer & dryer. When you put it in the dryer check every 10-15 minutes to empty the lint trap, it will fill up fast & often. I usually take it out & shake it 2 or 3 times while drying too.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Ckcowl, thanks!! Would it work to use minky just for the backing? It is soooo very soft....
Old 11-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

You usually don't put a backing on a rag quilt. Cut your batting 1" smaller than your starting square. You put the bottom layer of fabric right side DOWN. place your batting square on top, then one or more layers of cotton/flannel right side UP. Sew an "X" thru it, then sew the squares together with a half inch seam. Clip the seams (for 3 quilts you really should look into getting proper rag quilt scissors). Be careful you don't clip your seam. The bottom layer of fabric is the back of your quilt.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM

Got the rag quilt scissors!

Ummm....I guess I meant minky for the bottom layer (sorry....don't know all the right terms yet!). Would that work?