Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM

I don't keep track. I say it's kinda like making Christmas candy...a person really doesn't want to
know how much it costs. But...I can justify about anythiing. We eat out only 3 or 4 times a year.
We do nothing for entertainment except church, family and my quilt guild which is one day a month.
All my children get a bed size quilt about every year or year & a half. I make most of our
Christmas presents. It's healthy and I love it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM

I try not to think too much about it... I know I spend a lot on it but fabric is my passion. From time to time I sell off old stash to buy new stash. DH golfs, I buy fabric... sometimes I even sew some of it
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 PM

I started my first quilt 3 years ago, a hand-stitched queen-size hexagog GFG quilt top, I just finished in the fall. I had no clue what I was getting into or what I was doing when I started so I purchased tons of scraps from people on Ebay, yard sales, and alot of fat quarters. I've since gone to a quilting class and I now realize what I didn't know three years ago, when I started. Now, I feel confident that I at least have some knowledge of quilting and I can manage to make a descent quilt. I bought my batting and backing for my hexagon quilt several months ago but I just started working on it tonight, I had some family problems to settle first. I have been working on hexagon pillows shams to match my hexagon GFG quilt. Since, I just last year seriously started to learn quilting I've had put out quite a pretty penny in supplies such as rulers, cutting tools, mats, threads, markers, quilting pins, straight pins, freezer paper stash, template making plastic sheets (I took an Applique class with Mimi Dietrich) and I have a pretty good size fabric stash for my next hexagon quilt. I can't begin to imagine how much money I've spent on all the items I've purchased over the last year but it's quite alot. I usually buy good quality products so that only adds to the cost and plus, I've purchased most of my supplies at the quilt shop I took my class at, so that only adds to the cost as well since the prices in the shops are usually higher than buying at Walmart, Michael's or Joann's. I would say I've spent close to $1,000 since June of last year. I have alot of my receipts but not all of them. I might sit down one day and add them up. I may have sticker shock when I get the total, lolol....This year I'm on a budget, I'm divorcing from my husband and since I'm keeping the house, I'll be responsible for the upkeep, mortgage, etc etc etc by myself which I can do but I won't have the freedom of buying something whenever I want it. But, I love quilting and no matter what, if I want something, I'll save until I can get it. Quilting has helped me through some rough times these past 5-6 months. I think I'll be quilting for a long time...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 AM

I work full time and my husband is very supportive of my quilting. I buy whatever I want, within reason LOL. I do have a huge stash but tend to buy more when I see fabric on sale. My husband bought my Tin Lizzie for me to encourage my quilting too. Bless him.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:26 AM

Nope, no budget. I also garden; but not to save money. I garden to eat healthier. If I happen to save money, that's a bonus. I quilt because I love the process. I don't take vacations (my choice) because my life is just one long vacation. I do try to buy fabric only on sale, and have a large stash I shop from. I do mostly charity sewing, and for my family and myself. I did keep track of my spending last year, just for the heck of it. I was shocked to see that I spent over $5000 on fabric alone. I belong to the "Life is short" club and don't want to be regretting anything later on.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 AM

I don't have a budget, but I have decided to keep track of my spending on quilting. I have just got an embroidery machine so that is a factor in my spending. My dear husband just let me spend and I am careful of how much. Quilting is such a stress buster for me.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 AM

How can you put a dollar amount on happiness. I do watch what I buy, and do not spend on what I do not need. I do quilting for others and have an allowance from the quilting for thread, batting and notions. I really enjoy working with fabric, and also giving finished projects to my family and friends.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nina Baker View Post
We can choose to feel "guilty" or QUILTY!
Quilty wins!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by char634w View Post
I don't have a budget, I have a full time job and I buy what I want. Occasionally I feel a little guilty about my fabric stash, or my machines and tools but I have learned to live with the guilt (haha) and enjoy it. Life is so short and quilting makes me so happy and my husband appreciates beautiful quilts and good quality tools so he never says anything. He has always said that it is better to buy the best quality that you can afford so that is what I do. I do shop the sales for the better stuff and that always makes me feel good too. Sometimes I rationalize my purchases and say that I am buying for retirement because I won't have as much money then but I wonder if I am trying to fool myself - doesn't matter because I love everything about it. I could be spending $ on worse vises so I honestly don't feel that guilty. Quilts are beautiful and functional so I think it is all $ well spent regardless of how much.
I don't think you are fooling yourself at all. This is what I did with crocheting and needlework kits and supplies (before I learned how to quilt). I worked full time and would buy whatever I wanted (almost) so when I retired last year I had a lot of UFOs and am having a wonderful time finishing those projects and now I am in the process of buying quilting tools, fabric, etc. This year I put on my Christmas Wish List some quilting supplies that I wanted and got several really nice tools. Life is short and I believe if you do what makes you happy the way will be provided as long as you are making good decisions and look how many people have enjoyed the wonderful quilts you are making. Go forth and quilt.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM

I make the money and I spend it on whatever I want. I have a room full of fabric and buy more each week......this is my vice.