Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 AM

Most of the new stuff I buy goes for donations anyway, so we do itemize on my taxes, so I do keep track of the fabric costs, and a huge cost is the batting. I keep my receipts for the fabric that goes to donations.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 AM

I do try to buy fabrics on sale, but I don't really have a budget that I keep to. The last comforter I made, however, I call my $5 quilt. I got a pack of 5" squares of flannel in Amish country for $5, and only used about 1/4th of them, then I found a sheet that I used of my aunt's for the backing (I never have used a sheet before), and the batting I pieced together with interfacing strips and zigzag stitches. Plus, the borders are from an nightgown that I used to wear. I finished it envelope style, so there's no binding. Then I tied it at intervals with yarn I had received as a gift. I know this sounds worse than it looks, but it's just one of those quilts to throw in the back of a car in cold weather. It will keep people warm and toasty, and that's what matters most. And my daughter says she just loves it! Who knew?!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I'm not on a budget, really - I try not to get too crazy, because what if I don't like making quilts five years from now. But, I confess that I am fanatical about tools and when I walk into a quilt shop, my eyes glaze over and I kind of go into a trance.

We're going to be retired in a few years and on a fixed income, so I try to build my stash "smart" - not many novelties, mostly classic, traditional prints in colors that aren't real trendy. Lots of blenders and neutrals for applique, lots of collections.

I do try to buy on sale and economize to some extent - I shop connectingthreads and fabric.com where the shipping is free, and I shop whittlesfabrics and a couple of my favorite eBay sellers - Quilt Unique and franks11 - where the prices are always so low that the small amount for shipping isn't a big deal.
It's funny you should say 'what if I don't like it in five years' because first of all, if you go to my quilting 'help' file on my computer, there is an article I copied from the Board posting into Word and the title is "the Polyparrot wrote..." and it is about your favorite hints and tricks and tips on piecing and quilting and choosing fabric. I hope you never lose your interest and enthusiasm for quilting!

Second of all, as much as I love quilting, I have been operating on the same principal to some extent, not making investments which would only pay off in the long run or in a larger scale operation, like an Accuquilt, a straight-stitch machine for machine quilting, etc etc. ...just in case I get tired of it.

Thanks for the tips on whittlesfabrics, Quilts Unique and Franks, I had not known about them.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
The first year is pretty expensive because you have to buy gadgets and tools. Same goes when you start any new "style". But you will probably have that rotary cutter and those rulers for years to decades if you continue with the hobby.

Yes I spend alot but it's my hobby and I like what I produce. Think of it this way, I could have taken up golf and never produced anything.
Good advise, especially that what a quilter produces is going to give satisfaction and enjoyment to the recipients. I guess I should be glad my husband fishes instead of golfing! LOL At least I've got a freezer full of cod and haddock to go through the winter!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 AM

We have a budget and each of us get our own spending money for the month (we are retired). Sometimes that spending money is as low as $50 a month and sometimes it is higher. The important fact is that both of us get the same amount that month. Neither one of us need to account to the other one on how we spend that money. My money is saved and used for sewing. This way I don't have any guilt feelings when I buy fabric and my husband doesn't care how much fabric I have in my stash.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM

My budget? If it's not on sale or I don't have a coupon, I don't buy it. If it's $1.50 or less, I get 10 yards for backing. I plan what I want to make and may spend months looking for the right material at the right price . . . and sometimes I find great deals and plan from there.

Not much help.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM

I say hey everybody look what I bought. That's kind of all the accounting I do. I have a job. I spend as I see fit.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 AM

I record all my quilting expenses, which I buy on a cash only basis, as "art". It makes me feel good, when I go over my finances, just to know I have made such a generous contribution to the arts.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 AM

BellaBoo, your quilting budget for 2011 would be mine if I could quit work and indulge! You go, girl! Thanks for sharing!

But, back to the grindstone for me. I did just spend an hour reading these posts instead of working.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM

DH and I budget our money carefully and include a monthly amount for hobby spending for each of us. When the money is gone, we wait for the next month to buy something. The good part, aside from not feeling guilty for the spending, is that if we spend less than the allotted amount one month, it carries over to the next month. When it comes time to get fabric for a new project, I can get it all on one spree. It works for us.