Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM

I account for my expenses under medical expenses ---THERAPHY. Actually I have a close friend in theraphy and quilting is much cheaper.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM

I don't have a budget either. I work full time and have my own money. I also don't go crazy, although I did buy a Janome Horizon this past August. But I have only one other machine, a 25-year old White that wasn't doing what I wanted to do with this new hobby of mine. My husband has taken quite an interest in it, and has noticed my progress, which is nice. He doesn't say anything when I bring more fabric home.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM

I find it best to not add it up. It gets scary when I do...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 AM

I dont, this is something I enjoy so I don't put a $ amount on it. However, I don't go and spend hundreds of dollars every time I am at the LQS or JA. I buy what I need when I need it. The only other hobby I have is photography and I already have everything for that.

My husband's hobby is photography and he is always spending more/buying some new gizmo - Not to mention his camera cost five times what my new sewing machine cost! So I don't go overboard on collecting fabric, but I don't feel guilty when I buy some either. Usually just buy what I need for a planned project.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Hmmmm I keep mental note of how much I spend but I do not tally it up, all I know is I do not spend nearly as much as hubby does on his "hobbies", I don't say a word about how much he spends, and he does not say a word about what I spend. I am in charge of both the personal and business finances, so I see what he spends, though I am definitely the saver in our household and sometimes I do have to tell him "no extras" this month, and then he will ask when he can "spend"again.

I just started quilting last year and I am new, my initial investment in tools, books and fabric last year has set me up for this year. I have several projects that I want to do this year and with the exception of some backings, I will not be spending much on fabric this year as I have other areas where I want the money to go.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Everybody does their finances differently, but if you need to contain costs, your best bet is to allot yourself a strict and generous budget. The first few years of any hobby involves a fair amount of purchasing.

The other approach, one that I will be using for the next couple of years because I have too much stash, is only buying to finish projects already started. I have an expensive sewing machine that sucks up all my hobby budget until it is paid for. That will be followed by another, but less expensive 'class' sewing machine (lighter weight). I can only afford these IF I limit my purchases.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM

I agree with many of the other replies. I think quilters are fugal and practical by nature so we tend to balance our lives well. I give up in other areas of my life by choice; designer clothes, too many shoes, parties, eating out, or truly luxury items, etc. So the money I spend on quilting is my therapy, love, pleasure, passion (whatever you might call it) and I balance it with the other needs of the family. As long as we have a comfortable home, reliable car, decent clothes (yes, many from thrifts or consignment stores) and good fresh food to eat, I do not feel guilty about my fabric purchases. Quilting makes me a happier person, so my family benefits in many ways that cannot be counted by the dollar sign.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 AM

That is like a loaded question ! LOL ~ I have been blessed with fabric lovers before me -- my mother sewed/quilted and so did her sisters and I am the only one of my generation that quilts/sews. So inevitebly I receive everything from sewing machines to fabric and plenty of advice ! I do buy fabric for a project and blenders. I do buy background fabric when I see something that I like at LQS and I shop their sales only. I have started using back art on the backs of quilts so I don't have to use large backings. Thread and other supplies come from 50% off coupons at Joanns. Books come from everywhere; sales, LQS, Amazon that is my evening reading; I don't go to the movies or get my hair or nails done and I quilt therefore I don't need a therapist !! Happy Quilting !
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM

I don't even want to know what I spend on my "addiction". I'd probably pass out! I usually have a plan for all fabric I buy even though it might be a few months before I get to it. This is something I enjoy and a price tag can't be put on that. I've fallen for the "stuff you just can't live without" before and am really careful about that now. After joining this group I found there is something right in my own home I can use instead of buying that great, wonderful new tool/notion that can make your life so much easier...or so they claim. HAHAHA!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM

I found that as I started my hobby I spent a good deal more then when I have since then. The original costs of equipment really put it up there. I began keeping track of the fabric, batting and threads as those can be compared month to month and felt better about what I had spent. Really you buy the rulers and mats some, but they would not be considered consumables of the hobby -they are the tools.

In the long run I think you can give yourself a break and just know that beginning it will be a bit more. If you look at what you saved making the placemats alone you are probably already ahead.

I usually budget myself $40 a month for fabric. I buy my batting from JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon and buy a full bolt at a time - it really lasts! Those kinds of things will help you keep a lid on the expenses.

Happy quilting and sewing!