Ok, so many of you will remember that back in AUGUST I ordered a Bailey's 17inch Pro quilter and put it on a Grace GMQ frame, with a stitch regulator. Then had nothing but troubles with it not stitching more than a few minutes down to a few stitches. I took it to a local repair place received awful service from them. Brought the machine home and it still didn't work properly. So, I called Chuck we did MANY many troubleshooting efforts and still couldn't get it to work more than a few stitches before the thread would break. He sent me a new one. It arrived several weeks ago while my husband was on vacation (the week of Halloween). I didn't attempt that week. Then have ignored it because I was intimidated by this time and was afraid this one wouldn't work either, and it meant undoing and resetting up another machine. Yesterday, I decided since I am returning to work soon (I've been off work since my 5 yr old was born) that I had better at least get the new one out of the box and the old one in the box and shipped back before I start Dec 6th at my new job. So, today after church I finished setting the new one up. I did not set up the stitch regulator. I don't know if that was part of the problem or not but I think I am going to return that device and get a refund on it. Well I stitched and stitched until I ran out of bobbin thread!!!! without breaking the top thread. Crossing my fingers and hoping that I continue to have a good working relationship with this baby.