Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 AM

My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 AM

I'm sorry he feels that way. Some men just don't want their wives to have hobbies that keep them away from them. Sending you a big hug.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 AM

No you are definately not alone. My husband hates all of my stitching even though he was well aware that sewing and quilting were part of who I am before I even married him thirty five years ago. My sewing room is next to the family room with the TV and he frequently complains that I won't come out and "sit" with him. I seldom watch TV, can't stand most shows and hate sitting in the semi-dark. I also resent spending time with nothing to show for it. We've finally come to an "understanding", I stitch, he watches TV and we never will agree on the subject. I've also warned my daughters if anything happens to me, to come and rescue my quilting treasures and stash as I'm sure he would just call our son with his dump truck and haul it all to the landfill. Other than the dislike (hate) of my quilting, he is a really nice guy.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 AM

Sorry about your grumpy hubby!! Mine is not perfect but he does try to support my quilting habit. He may not like the money I spend, so I try to be frugal with my purchases. But I guess he must be proud of what I make , because he asked me to make a baby quilt for one of his co-workers. It kind of took me a bit by surprise since I had never met the person, but I did take it as a compliment from him! Hope you can get to a better place with yours!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 AM

I feel like they are immature when they take that attitude. My husband is that way about my crocheting.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 AM

My husband is very supportive of my sewing and has always been.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 AM

It will get better as the years of marriage pass..Believe me...was married 50 yrs. before he left. They do "mellow" over the years and look forward to "whats for dinner, dear"
Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
Sorry about your grumpy hubby!! Mine is not perfect but he does try to support my quilting habit. He may not like the money I spend, so I try to be frugal with my purchases. But I guess he must be proud of what I make , because he asked me to make a baby quilt for one of his co-workers. It kind of took me a bit by surprise since I had never met the person, but I did take it as a compliment from him! Hope you can get to a better place with yours!!
Yeah he is ok with my sewing when he wants something for co-workers..!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 AM

oh my....sending you big hugs! I have to say that quilting is a newer hobby for me, but I have always been into some kind of hobby, therefore my home is filled with yarn and scrapbooking supplies and lots of other things. The quilting has actually been the one hobby my dh hasn't complained about too much (although the pins are a sore subject (Hahaha) especially when he steps on them!, which he has done several times too :oops: ) After 15 years of marriage I guess he realizes that I must have something, other than people, work, and the home, to occupy my mind and maintain my sanity. With the quilting hobby I think he sees more useful outcomes, or maybe he just likes quilts!? Anyway, he now has me making him one, and two of his friends a quilt each. Now if I could just get him to appreciate all the yarn and other hobby stuff I have.....

Hang in there! Just be sure to post your beautiful quilts here and we will be here to cheer you on! Thats why I love this board, cause even when my girls tell me my quilts "don't match" or my dh is rolling his eyes when more fabric appears, I can come on here and find lots of people who understand and share my joy of quilting (and other hobby's too!)

HUGS to you,
lallyann

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 AM

Oh I hear your pain. My husband does give a "oh honey that's nice" comment every once in a while, but mostly he doesn't even look at what he's commenting about. It used to hurt my feelings; it used to tick me off. Now I know he's just jealous of the fact that I have a hobby that's so fulfilling to me. HISS BOO TO HIM! TOO BAD, SO SAD. It's not his money I'm spending either it's my own. Sorry, I didn't even read the other posts in this thread. Just needed to vent. Sorry you're having the same problem I'm having. But do I plan to stop quilting??? Guess what the answer is ...