Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!!

I have been quilting about a year, but this is my first traditional quilt. I am using the Ohio Star pattern. Yesterday went really well. I figured out what fabric to use, figured I would make four different squares and make four of each, and I successfully sewed three squares.

Today nothing has gone right. I just finished ripping and ripping and ripping.

I am smart enough to not sew any more tonight, but when I was stacking my 4 1/2 inch squares, I noticed that some of them seemed larger than the others. Well, I was right. Some of them are 4 3/4 inches. Now how did that happen??? I use the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler???

So I am frustrated and wish I had not started. The quilt is for my sister-in-law. I just decided to make her a quilt and asked her husband what colors she liked. He happened to mention that she had been looking for a quilt with the Ohio Star pattern, so I figured....why not? She doesn't sew, but she sort of collects quilts.

Well, now I wish I had stuck with Warm Wishes or something that I had done before.

BUT, things will look better tomorrow. I just had to vent. I have ripped enough seams out today to last me until 2011!!

I am not trusting myself enough to trim those squares tonight. I would wake up tomorrow and find they were wrong again.

Thanks for listening. I feel better already. :)

Blog Entries
    ok, this happens to everyone. Take a break today,, try again tomorrow. Some days are just better than others! You'll be fine

Blog Entries
    It will be worth all the extra effort in the end. I learn by my mistakes. Trust me I have made them ALL. Tomorrow will be better!:)

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    It will be worth all the extra effort in the end. I learn by my mistakes. Trust me I have made them ALL. Tomorrow will be better!:)
    Ditto........

When you get back at it tomorrow you will have much better luck!

Yup, we have all had many times like that, I bet. Just walk away from it for the night -- you shouldn't be around dangerous sharp quilting tools anyway when you are this frustrated. :-D :-D

Been there, done that! LOL It will be better tomorrow. I am teaching my dil to quilt, and she is learning that in quilting, you have to accept boo-boos and learn how to fix them.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    You are so wise to walk away when things are not going well. That is a hard lesson to learn, but a valuable one..whether quilting or some other life activity...

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    been there done that.......and hate when it happens. I put it away and take it out the next day.

Yes, I did my share of rippin out today and I am still not ready to sew tomorrow. I'm trying to do a tablerunner with FMQ and I just can't seem to get my machine to work. Come back to it tomorrow, I guess.

I don't believe I've EVER gotten all my squares to match up when I get them done!!! That's why we SQUARE UP!!!! I just pray the points are obviously bad!!!!! Hang in there....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast