Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My machine is sick.. now I am worried >

My machine is sick.. now I am worried

My machine is sick.. now I am worried

Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 AM

I have a MC 6500P . After I cleaned out the bobbin casing etc the other day it won't run.
It shows a screen with the foot control and the manual says to call the dealer.
Does that machine have a fuse too? Can the fuse be replaced by hubby?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 AM

I bought a second machine as it was on sale and had a quilting foot included. I try to take my machine in yearly for a tune-up. The sewing machine shop I work with is really good about repairs. When I had to have a repair I was told 6 weeks. I said I can't have it gone that long. At that time I only had 1 machine and what was I going to do with a broken machine?? They are really nice and didn't mention that a broken machine could sit anywhere for 6 weeks. They put my name and number on the list and when my turn came they would call. They called and it was only in the shop for 24 hours. I have since bought 3 more machines, 2 0n sale and a machine that hooks onto a frame and works like a long arm. I haven't tried it since I am remodeling my family room to become a studio. I am still learning how to use a digital camera so hopefully there are pictures in the future
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
My first machine purchased a month after we married is a 404. I have it back now (it was at my daughter's house) after it being laid up in her garage for a few months. It's waiting to be cleaned and oiled right now. This is a little workhorse and makes a beautiful stitch.
Is it any wonder the generation of people who used those Singer 404 machines in Home Ec class still sew and are good at it???
Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Morag - I don't know about your machine.. but I did wonder if the fuse on my machine could be replaced by someone else so I wouldn't have to drive to the dealer. My machine is still under warranty so I wouldn't want to do anything to mess that up. I don't have a hubby, but I am sure if I had one I would be tempted to ask him to take care of it for me if it would happen again.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM

I do some work on the newer computerized machines and am certified by one of the "big" names to do warranty work for them. I'm also in IT.

I would suggest that any of the newer computerized machines should be treated like computers. Always have them on a UPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply) or failing that at the very least a surge protector that you replace yearly*. The UPS will give your machine cleaner power, less surges and brownouts to deal with and the potential of less gremlins and possible fuses blown. Consumer grade UPS' powerful enough to run a sewing machine can be had for less than $100, and less than $50 on sale. Considering the cost of these machines, it's cheap insurance.

*Why replace the surge protectors? Once they buffer one really good surge or several small ones, they're no longer surge protectors, they're just power bars. Consumer Reports recommends every 2 years but I recommend once a year because power can be quite bad in some areas and you rarely know about surges unless accompanied with an electrical storm. With no real way to test, I find better safe than sorry. Even a UPS should be changed every several years, for the same reason. Typically their surge protection is a little stronger though, so I will go 4 or 5 years on those. I've run servers on UPS' for years, and the current one I run is more than 6 years old and hardware wise is still going strong.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

ArchaicArcane ... A further question ... am I correct?? in that UPS' do not give protection from brown outs and that we should really have the one that combines the UPS with the brown out protection (can't remember its name ... so please help me out here!). THANKS!
Old 11-09-2014, 02:33 PM

UPS' DO give the brownout protection, surge protectors do not.

A UPS is a surge protector with a battery backup combined.

Perhaps what I wrote above should have read like this:
The UPS will give your machine cleaner power, less surges and less brownouts to deal with and the potential of less gremlins and possible fuses blown.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
UPS' DO give the brownout protection, surge protectors do not.

A UPS is a surge protector with a battery backup combined.

Perhaps what I wrote above should have read like this:
Thanks ArchaicA ... I do understand the differences, of all, and had one computer ruined years ago, because of brownouts ... all thanks to rural hydro! From then on, I have had a UPS.

And I too, may not have worded things correctly!! When I replaced my UPS the last time, it seems to me that my techie told me that not all UPS' have brown out protection ... and you needed to make sure that it included whatever words in the description for that purpose. So what are the word(s) that tells you so?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM

AC power creates a Sine Wave. It's the "alternating up and down wave you see when we "Draw" AC. The sine wave is pure from the power company, but when the brownouts happen the current drops and they cause damage.

Many UPS' - the budget ones especially - create a "simulated" sine wave, these ones are not as good as a pure sine wave UPS. That said, the cost of a pure sine wave UPS is prohibitive in a non-commercial environment, and a sewing machine is not typically sensitive enough to know the difference. The Simulated sine wave vs the pure sine wave, is like the difference between a digital photo and one taken on a film camera. The film camera is a purer representation, but the digital image looks the same at a regular distance, but if you get in really close you can see it's different, but it's close enough for most of us.

There's a bit of an explanation here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...-wave-inverter - They're discussing computers, but the science is the same.

All UPS' buffer brownouts. That's part of the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" portion.
The higher end ones will kick in faster than the lower cost ones but even the lower cost ones provide much better protection than a surge protector.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
well I took my machine to the dealer this morning.. and what a relief it was only the fuse. Only $10 to fix and he fixed it while I waited. That was a very nice surprise so I go to bring my baby home with me. I did end up buying a second machine, its only money Now I will have a machine to take with me to workshops!!
Good job and great decision, a second machine is vital IMO