Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters >

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM

I might think about moving my sewing machine to the coolest rm in the house
Old 05-06-2011, 02:39 PM

I live in a mobile home in North Florida and the 2 bedrooms at the west end are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The ac/heat don't seem to get to those rooms. I don't even feel the air coming out of the vents. The line your ac guy gave you is a bunch of mularkey because the sewing machine doesn't give off that much heat. My 2 rooms get hot without anything being on.

What I did was to get a large standing fan, put it in the doorway facing the room I want to cool off and turn the fan on. The fan then brings the cool air from the other room into the hot (or cold) room. It works enough where the room gets somewhat comfortable. You do the same thing in the winter.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM

I have put in my own insulation. It is easy to do. Or try blown in insulation as it is easy to install. If it is hot in summer, it must be cooooooooold in winter. Do you have shade trees? That really helps. Do you have anywhere to place an attic fan? Do regular fans work for you?
Good luck with this problem.
Marla
Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Thank you thank you ladies! I added a portable AC--vented to the garage through a small hole plus made some of the changes you all recommended.

My room is a chilly 74 even with it being 88 degrees today!!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I live in a mobile home in North Florida and the 2 bedrooms at the west end are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The ac/heat don't seem to get to those rooms. I don't even feel the air coming out of the vents. The line your ac guy gave you is a bunch of mularkey because the sewing machine doesn't give off that much heat. My 2 rooms get hot without anything being on.

What I did was to get a large standing fan, put it in the doorway facing the room I want to cool off and turn the fan on. The fan then brings the cool air from the other room into the hot (or cold) room. It works enough where the room gets somewhat comfortable. You do the same thing in the winter.
My mom lived in a mobile home and had no trouble with the heat/AC getting to all the rooms. It's just a suggestion, but maybe you should have someone check the ducts that go from the AC to each room. I don't know what it's like in a mobile home, but in my house the vents have valves that can be turned on or off so if you don't want to heat or cool a specific room you can just turn the valve and it will close off or open up the duct that carries air to that room. You want to make sure that they are all open or otherwise not blocked. I learned this when I had to get a new furnace and AC 20+ years after buying this house. All those years my poor kids roasted in the summer and froze in the winter and it was all because the ducts going to their rooms were closed!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Can you put in a venting ceiling window that has a screen on it and a back up hand crank...trust me on that one. It made a huge difference in our A frame home in NC. Must be installed by a professional or it could leak. We had no problem and I miss having the extra natural light where I am now in Michigan.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 AM

I would suggest the portable AC units. Also, try putting a tint on the windows to help deflect the sun. The tint is not like the dark car kind but it is designed to help keep the room cooler in the summer.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG View Post
Maybe try managing the heat that you can control in the room so your AC can do its job. For instance, put your iron on a surge protector. That way, you just use the on/off button on the protector to turn your iron off while not in use, then just hit the button to turn it on a few minutes before you will need it. Also, you can use the spiral type light bulbs in your lamps, they don't give off heat. Insulated curtains on your windows will help with afternoon sun (or you could replace those windows with some that have a Argon between the two panes. That way, light comes in naturally, but the Argon keeps it from heating up your room).

Just some thoughts for you. :-D :-D
Please, do not leave your iron plugged into a surge protector or the wall when not in use. We have had two members (at least) lately that have had fires because of this. ALWAYS unplug the iron when not in use.
How about just insulating the wall between your room and the garage, rather than the complete job that was suggested? Kat Sews suggestions also very good.