Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK >

New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK

New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK

Old 04-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Default New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK

My Scanncut arrived. But I can't use it. I've tried for hours. I'm ready to pack it up and send it back.

1. The sticky mats are not sticky enough.
2. The blue foundation will not adhere to fabric when ironed. So I'm using wonder under.
3. I can handle both about but main problem is it will not cut or even feed!

The fabric bunches up and stops everything. The few times I did get it to feed the cutter would not cut.
I used both cutters on every setting and not one cut. I'm using cotton quilt fabric. sooooooo disappointed.

Anyone here know what I may be doing wrong? How high up do you start the fabric. I assumed at the ruler start.

I cannot watch any videos as I'm over my bandwidth.

ANy help appreciated.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM

2. what is blue foundation, I have a scan n cut and you attach the fabric sheet to the mat not iron it to your fabric. Are use using the high tack sheet there is a low tack and a high tack, I use the low for scanning paper at this point, and the high you have 2 sheets, attach the blue fabric support sheet to one and use the other with fusible. I haven't tried fusible yet so can't give you any tips on that, but make sure you fabric is flat an ironed and press it to you sheet that has the fabric support sheet attached using a brayer, if you do not have one go to a craft or scrapbooking store and get one, it makes a difference. I had my first cut with blade depth of 3 and pressure of 2 I believe and it cut no problems, when you rotate the blade you should see the blade barely peeking out. Maybe you can see if your local brother dealer is offering classes. you should be able to use the low tack mat to cut paper which I think I did a 1 and 1 for copy paper. I suggest starting with the low tack mat and simple copy paper until you figure all the controls out. I hate the manual, but with trial and error it isn't hard to figure, just start with you light setting so you don't cut through the mat. The high tack mats should be very sticky I accidentally put copy paper on one and it sure was hard to get of so if it is not sticking something is wrong with your mats. The low tack mat is not very sticky so that stuff does not stay on. Join the yahoo of facebook brother scan n cut groups, you will get more help there. I am new to it and it doesn't have a place yet so I am not gonna fully dive in until I move
Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM

There have been a LOT of complaints about the mats not being sticky or losing the stickiness quickly. Both types.

OP, I would try it with paper first to get the hang of it.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:10 PM

OK, I had the holder clip UP not DOWN. But now I'm messed with it so long my mats are not sticky so they can't hold the fabric. So frustrating. I was so excited about this and after 48 hours (could have finished a quilt) I have not made one cut.

I'm also irked every video shows the pen and cut holders but now I have to buy a pen and holder -- another 20+ on top of the 399.

With all that I will say the computer part is very easy to use.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 PM

How do you make the mat sticky-- DO I have to BUY another mat?!?!?!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM

I read where Brother told someone that putting something on the mat to make it sticky again or stickier could void the warranty. I think people do it anyway but just wanted to put that out there. New mats are not cheap from this company. I think I saw them at amazon for $17 or something.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Pondering how much fabric I could have purchased for $399.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:04 AM

You can clean your mats with dish detergent and the tackiness comes back. Try wiping them down. My machine came with everything I needed. Fabric needs to be stratched real good and stiff. Practice and watch videos.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by heartofwisdom View Post
How do you make the mat sticky-- DO I have to BUY another mat?!?!?!
I would contact brother and have them replace the mats the high tack should be very sticky right out of box if not your mat is defective and needs to be replaced by brother, you shouldn't have to buy a new mat when it is a new purchase.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 PM

I too have had my share of "frustration" with getting it right but I will say it's coming.
I thought since I had been using a Cricut (both the original and the E) for years it would just translate over to the Scan N Cut well....not really LOL
I wish that the steps to using the machine were a bit more logical but I am finding the more I use it the easier it becomes.
My first fabric cutting experience was a failure but for the opposite reason...I could hardly budge the fabric off the mat without distortion or raveling...not good. I am ready to do my second session of cutting and am hoping that my mat is a bit less sticky and have starched the fabrics but no fusible this time.
Let us know if you decide to keep it and how you are fairing.