Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK >

New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK

New Brother ScanNCut ACKKKKKKK

Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 AM

I was shopping on Amazon the other day for spray-on repositionable adhesive and I found a Krylon brand spray that had a lot of reviews where people were saying they used it to revitalize silhouette and cricut mats. I haven't personally done this (I don't own either device) but that MAY be an idea for fixing yours?

Here's a link to the product & the reviews: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM

you are supposed to wipe the mats with non alcoholic wipes to restore the stickiness, though a wet paper towel will do it also. it only makes sense that after you stick paper or fabric to something tacky it becomes less tacky.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by heartofwisdom View Post
OK, I had the holder clip UP not DOWN. But now I'm messed with it so long my mats are not sticky so they can't hold the fabric. So frustrating. I was so excited about this and after 48 hours (could have finished a quilt) I have not made one cut.

I'm also irked every video shows the pen and cut holders but now I have to buy a pen and holder -- another 20+ on top of the 399.

With all that I will say the computer part is very easy to use.
I did the same thing with the holder clip. I had used it before and it took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong. To clean your mats, use alcohol free diaper wipes. I've used temp spray when I need extra holding power too. Another thing is to make sure your blade is clean, this will also cause the bunching up of fabric and the partial cutting.

I haven't tried it yet but I've heard where some use template sheets to go on top of thier mats trying to make the last longer. Not sure how well that works.

I tell everyone they are better off buying the blue one. Yes, its more and they both do the same thing but the red one (cheaper one) doesn't come with everything or as many designs and by the time you buy all of the extra's you will spend more in the log run.

I'm working on a quilt from lunchbox designs and we had a retreat weekend. Its emb/applique and I have been working on getting the designs for appliqe cut out with the cut n scan. I still have a few of the more detailed ones to do but so far its really working out good. I will try and complete the rest this week.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 AM

The very first time I used it I had the blade to far out and cut my mat. I used duck tape and it still works great. They also sell a special starch for the material and it works really great. It really stiffens it up and makes the cutting easier. I bought it at my local quilt shop where I purchased my machine.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by cmierley View Post
The very first time I used it I had the blade to far out and cut my mat. I used duck tape and it still works great. They also sell a special starch for the material and it works really great. It really stiffens it up and makes the cutting easier. I bought it at my local quilt shop where I purchased my machine.
You don't even have to use the duck tape. The lady at the last Anita Goodesigns was demoing hers and she had two holes in it where she cut deep, just don't put fabric on it if you scan it into the machine. I love the scanning in of the background feature, this week I was doing applique and I had several different fabrics on the mat and by scanning it in I could be sure that I had the right pieces on the right fabric. Love the machine.