Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter messed up quilt >

New quilter messed up quilt

New quilter messed up quilt

Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 PM

Post a picture so we can oogle. Because we will. And then listen to us instead of the voices in your head.

I have no doubt that it is beautiful.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:25 AM

You may think this is a disaster, but unless the mistakes are "glaring", chances are, not one else will notice, unless you point it out. Even experienced quilters make mistakes. I have been quilting for 30+ years. I took a quilt to a LA-er, and when it was done, she said that she had found a mistake in it. It took both of us looking for some time, before we could find it again. Even though I know the mistake is there, I still have a hard time finding it again. I use it, abuse it, and that mistake has never caused me a moment's worry.
The human eye fools people by looking at the whole picture, and making mistakes seem as if it is not there. And most non-quilters only see the quilt itself, not the mistakes. The fact that you finished a king-size quilt is an accomplishment, all by itself! Go on to your next project, and enjoy
Old 07-17-2016, 08:59 AM

On my first quilt, I basted the layers together so poorly that the top moved around so much and my perfectly squared top was badly (and I mean BADLY distorted)--I kept trying to trim it up, which made it worse. I was SO disappointed in the end. Can you believe it, but now I get compliments on how askew it is! My friend, who is an art teacher, thought the "off-centering" of the central square was a daring focal point.

I think we stare and stare at our quilts so much that it's hard to be perfectly satisfied with the end product. Ask yourself this: Did you enjoy the process? Are you excited about the next one? Just forge ahead--three quilts from now you're going to look back and wonder why you were so hard on yourself.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:39 AM

Wow. Low loft batting. Great quilt for summertime chills. You'll want the thicker ones for wintertime chills. And the mistakes prove it wasn't made
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 PM

You are braver than me!
I only want to add, not being satisfied with a finished work is the sign of a real artist.
Push on ahead. It is the foundation for all your future works.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Welcome to the Board! Great accomplishment, finishing a king sized quilt. I am sure only you see the mistakes.

My first bed sized quilt, a queen sized scrappy (2" squares) was called "Murphy's Millennium" made in 2000 with what was supposed to be 2000 squares (ha! My math didn't work). Need I say more? (Whatever could go wrong or whatever I could do wrong...yup...Murphy was actually an optimist when it came to this quilt! Just so you know, my daughter loves, loves, loves this quilt!)

Keep on quilting and check back here often...we all have our "Murphy" quilts.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:36 PM

don't worry abt it. I kept my first and recently took it out and showed a friend, we had a good laugh...I did it back in 2000 my very first and of course have cont and improved greatly. I cut 5 inch sqs...because quilting is patchwork right!...I used all diff types of fabrics including satin and sewed them together. Were the seams suppose to match? Then pieced a cotton and linen back...I didn't know abt batting so there's none in there and I didn't know abt SID or quilting...But I used it as a couch throw and yes the backing moves but I put allot of work into it including hand embroidery on some of the blocks and stenciled some w/fabric paint...Maybe one day I'll take the backing off put batting in and SID or quilt...But I love it and I've learned so much more since...The right way to Quilt.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM

A FIRST quilt was a king? Wow. I give you credit. Everyone's first no matter what size is probably hidden in the closet. I give you credit for sticking with it. Just make another one and move on. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. We're all behind you!!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

Give yourself a break and simply relish in the fact that you finished a king-size quilt. When I look at the early works and what I do now.....there's a world of difference. I still learn and sometimes, still have disappointments. That won't keep me down for long. Just enjoy and keep on quilting.