Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure if I can use this for a quilt.... >

Not sure if I can use this for a quilt....

Not sure if I can use this for a quilt....

Old 01-04-2017, 04:33 AM

You could try a product called Dream Weave by Floriani. It's not a stabiliser but if you go to uTube there is a very good explanation about using it for silks and satins. Even though it is adhesive it stays very soft. Good luck with using the map in your quilt.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Use a good, lightweight fusible stabilizer, it will work fine. Silks ( properly stabilized are wonderful to use in quilts! Hold up well, are wonderful fabrics in quilts
Do you think the woven cotton fusible interfacing would work the best.

Am using it on the backs of some t-shirt blocks that were very thin/stretchy, worked like a charm.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM

*** Hope you can use it, but
*** silk pillow cases are great - they do not pull your hair out.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 PM

I'm with some of the others too. I think a good fusible stabilizer will make it user friendly. I love all of your posts with all of your descriptions & gestures. You always make me laugh.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 AM

Many years ago, a good intended friend provided me with over 100 silk scarves he'd collected. The designs were absolutely lovely - and they were all in excellent condition. So...I had this idea to make quilt tops. It would take approximately 8 scarves to make a queen sized top...the only way I could put this together was with hand quilting! So I did...I hand quilted not one, but two quilts! I did manage to give away the remaining scarves. Silk is hard to work with in my world - If I'd have thought about it, I should have just made wall hangings from each scarf, surrounded by a nice wooden frame.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:46 AM

Depending on what type of silk it is, it can be very hard to work with. Charmeuse is a nightmare. It slips and slides and is hard to iron without leaving marks. Silk noil and some of the cotton like silks are pretty easy. Lightweight silks can be hard also.

With wearables and garment making, I had exposure to a lot of silks. They're beautiful and feel wonderful, but not always easy to work with.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Peckish you make me laugh!

Melody: I don't know what ASOIAF is, but I may have to look into it. Your pillow is super! And it sounds like you have a great mind for design. Sadly, I am a good copier, but poor designer. I'd love to see yours if you do it.

SewBiz: I Have to make this work. I hate getting an idea into my head and then feeling forced to stop. I will continue to play until I get it. Or at least something close where I feel good enough giving it to my son!

jb: I may not have hair LEFT to worry about when done with this. If I do, I'll consider making myself a silk pillowcase!

Annette: I have a tendency to type as I speak. So what you see is what you get. Which...if you've read some of my past posts, isn't so great! LOL. But thanks. Glad they can give you a little chuckle here and there. It's what I come here for, too. Not to mention FABULOUS advice!

These stabilizer and product ideas are written down....now to find them once the map comes in.
Excited!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 AM

I went to a sewing convention and I took a class by a woman who made the most beautiful quilted jackets out of silk fabric, silk ribbon, etc. They were gorgeous and the only drawback was they had to be dry cleaned. I don't know about your son but most of the guys in my family don't do laundry and taking it to the dry cleaner might be an ideal solution for them.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Peckish you make me laugh!

Melody: I don't know what ASOIAF is, but I may have to look into it. Your pillow is super! And it sounds like you have a great mind for design. Sadly, I am a good copier, but poor designer. I'd love to see yours if you do it.
ASOIAF is "A Song of Ice and Fire" which is what the book series is called. "A Game of Thrones" is only the title of the first book. The HBO show is only a small part of the whole world that Martin has created...if you need any suggestions, feel free to pm me. I could write a thesis on these books. Currently, there have been 5 books published with 7 planned (the show will end before the books are all done) The first one was published in 1996 and hopefully, we'll get #6 sometime this year called "The Winds of Winter" Let us know how the map does...I'm curious.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Silk is the new fabric for quilts for most modern quilting now. Keepsakes has silk quilt kits and Dupioni silk is used for applique. It will depend on the quality of the silk, if very inexpensive it won't last the first wash. But even the best silk will fray horribly when cut. It is suggested to wash it before using. There are lots of blogs about how to use silk in quilting and a few youtube videos about working with silk. Most all say featherweight interfacing is needed.