Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not sure if I can use this for a quilt.... >

Not sure if I can use this for a quilt....

Not sure if I can use this for a quilt....

Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 PM

Silk can be tricky to work with but you can do it!!
When it arrives sew a row of stitching about 1/2 " from the outside edge all around the entire piece.
Then hand wash in warm water and lay flat to dry. I would lay the wet piece on a bath towel
and roll it like a snake putting pressure on it to squeeze out as much moisture as possible then
lay it flat to dry.
Use an iron-on light weight interfacing using a cotton ironing cloth.
Do not use pins on silk. It isn't very forgiving and will show the pinholes.
When or if you sew 2 pieces of silk together it will slip and slide so go slow and careful.
Sewing cotton pieces to silk is a bit easier; just take it slow.

PLEASE DON'T BE FRIGHTENED....
I'm telling you all the things I learned (by doing it WRONG) the first time I worked with silk. LOL
I was making a "wedding dress quilt" and barely survived a nervous fit with each mistake.
One technique I found that I love is...
after washing, drying and ironing on light interfacing, and before adding to a quilt, I use an iron-on batting, add a muslin backing and free-motion quilt the silk piece... sew around any designs on the fabric or create designs on the fabric with my sewing. I then build the piece into my quilt.
Silk also accepts fabric painting quite well. You can free-motion a design and then paint color into it.

Okay, I'm turning into a blabber mouth... sorry!! I just got excited about your new adventure and want you to enjoy it without all the mistakes that I made.
Just do it and have fun... it's only fabric.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:29 AM

My Mom always told me I needed to pay more attention to the details before I ordered something. I haven't decided if I am a slow learned or just like surprises. Either way, I have a little stack of stuff I am sure I will find a use for one of these days. LOL
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 AM

LOL Betty....me, too! I am now the 'proud' owner of a "silk" map which will not be able to be used in my quilt. It is a great poster, however.

I received the map and it was not silk. It was actually printed on a material more like nylon. Thick, permanent creases....and I am fairly sure it will show poke holes if sewn on it. I contacted the seller and she said it was silk fabric. Um....no. Oh well. It wasn't insanely expensive, so I will just come up with another use for it.

But I may take a look at using some silks for small pieces in the future after getting all this interesting advice! Everyone is so talented. I love coming here!

(ps: Grandmadona......I would have been BEYOND a nervous fit!....would love to see a pic!)