Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: an offer I hate to refuse

an offer I hate to refuse

I have been offered a deal: A woman has asked me to make a full/queen size quilt for her. She has the fabric and has chosen a pattern - Jacob's Ladder. In exchange she has offered a large box of fabric. She collected fabric in the past and sewed some, but lost interest and now only knits. I made a Jacob's Ladder a couple of years ago for my DGS, Jacob, so I know what it will take. I've not seen the box of fabric yet, but would like to before I commit. My question is, what would you charge to make a quilt - labor only? I'd like to be able to judge whether the fabric is a good trade. I have never sold a quilt, only give them to family and a few close friends.

Power Poster
    Would definately make sure you are getting good quality fabric and that it is worth your time and effort. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I would certainly look at the fabric first. What is large and nice to her may be small and crappy to you. I don't quilt as a favor to others or to sell. The last person who asked me what I would charge to make a quilt for them I said 3 1/2 times the cost of new good quality fabric, pattern and thread that they pick out and brought to me with receipt.
    Got fabric?

definitely see the fabric 1st.I worked with someone who said she would give me 5 large bags of fabric in exchange for a quilt.she brought the fabric-and it was worn out cut up clothes and very thin and very ugly-I gave it all back and said sorry-I can not use it.It was garbage fabric-and I am a fabric hoarder.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I could see an exchange for making a top but not for making a completed quilt.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I could see an exchange for making a top but not for making a completed quilt.
    I agree. Unless the fabric she brings you in all Liberty of London or spun gold...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I would do it, with, or without, the fabric exchange. HOWEVER, it would only be on my terms/timetable as in they supply ALL the materials and I would complete it when I could, which might be 6 days or 6 months. I like the process and have always given away my finished quilts, so at least the cost of fabric would be avoided.

Power Poster
    Is she supplying the back, batt and thread or are you just doing the top? If she wants you to do the whole quilt then you will need to charge something for the things you will have to buy. I would look at the box of fabric before agreeing to it for payment. If it is a large box with lots of large Quilter's quality pieces of fabric, it may be adequate if your stash is low. If your stash has more fabric than you can possibly use in this lifetime, then work out payment plan instead.

Blog Entries
    I just made a queen size quillt for some one and the material alone was $110.00. It took me 14 hours to make the top, from washing fabric to finished top. Quilting will take another 8 hours and binding about 4 hours.

I don't think a box of fabric, even great fabric, pays for the hours it takes to construct a quilt. The fabric would have to be worth about $300.00. That workes out to $12.00 per hour which is cheap.

That is what I charged for this particular quilt.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    it would have to be a really, really, really big box.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast