Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please!! >

Opinions please!!

Opinions please!!

Old 09-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I like the left composition. To me it has a softer more shabby chic, cozy look. The solids look hard and stiff to my eye. imho. I would also , not add another sashiing or different sashing from the one on the left, again, because it is soft and gentle.

Hope the comforting goes well.
peace

EDIT: The other idea is nice too, a happier version. Depending on which way you go, adding more bright solids may take this cute quilt into clownland, imho.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM

I prefer the one on the left, to me the solid colors look like bulls eyes and detract from the all over design.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I like the layout on the left with the pinkish fabric. Really cute idea. I hadn't seen this pattern before.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Well, I am no help since I like both ways. Cute quilts.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I like the layout on the left with the pinkish fabric. Really cute idea. I hadn't seen this pattern before.
LOL, I haven't seen it before either, and it's not the pattern I started out to make. I had planned a modified Rail Fence. When I put the blocks on my design wall, to match up the 4 unit sets, they kinda just came together like this and I really liked the look.
I've made work for myself by going with this, as each block will involve partial seams to complete. But I've gotten pretty good at partial seams and am not put off by them any longer, LOL. That comes from all my scrappy patchwork quilts I have made, fitting odd shaped blocks together.

OK, I am thinking about sticking with solids, but going with something a little more towards the pinks, purples, softer turquoise and yellows, rather than the primary colors. That way, maybe they won't steal the show so much.

And maybe all one color background (centers and sashing) so the blocks look like they are more floating on it. If I were really brave, I'd try to add shadows, but not sure I could figure that out without a pattern.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM

I like the solid centers and would probably go with solid or solid-looking sashing.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I like them both. Use both together and mix them up randomly. I like the sashing shown.

Cari
I was thinking the same thing. I like them both.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I like them both. Use both together and mix them up randomly. I like the sashing shown.

Cari
I agree. I like the busy-ness of it and I like the sashing. Maybe a solid border. There was a 108" backing on the Fab Shop Hop - I don't remember which one it was, but it was colorful flowers (red, blue, yellow) on a white background. I loved it, but am just not working with those colors now, but it would be perfect for this quilt. I love that quilt!!!! Edie
Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I am stuck on this comfort quilt and would like to hear from some of you to help me decide which way to go with this.
I am posting two photos, one with matching sashing and centers in the blocks and the other with solid centers in the blocks and the first sashing.
Another option, not shown, is to put a narrower sashing in a solid to match the solid center around each block and skip the print sashing. If I do this, would I need another solid sashing to go between all the blocks to tie it all together, or would it be ok with just the many colors adjoining one another. I would add a border to the outside of the center section either way.

I won't use black, though, as this is a comfort quilt, and I avoid that unless it is requested. Smiles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]491015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]491016[/ATTACH]
Solid center show up the best.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:20 AM

I like the First Version with the Softness of the flowers in the center block...and the matching Sashing..
the Second version with Solid Center blocks you could use anyone of the solids as the sashing better than the flowered print. maybe the Blue or Green ? Made with Love anyway you finish them...