Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Smarter C1100 >

Pfaff Smarter C1100

Pfaff Smarter C1100

Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 AM

I was having major problems with my Pfaff expression 4 so my LQS exchanged it for a Pfaff Smarter C1100. My problem is that it is really noisy and sometimes the back stitches aren't as good as I think they should be. Does anyone else have this machine and do you have anything you're not happy with it
Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 PM

I don't have this machine, but a QB member named Gary does. I don't think what you've mentioned is typical. Maybe also post this question in the sewing machine section of patternreview.com. At least a few owners are there. If you find it under machine reviews, then PM the reviewer, you might get help. Good luck! I have a Babylock Quest Plus, which is similar, minus the auto cutter, low bobbin alert, and electronic tension (I have a dial). I think the Smarter and Quest Plus are made in the same factory, Zeng Hseng (spelling?) in Taiwan. Mine is so quiet I used to keep checking to see that the bobbin thread wasn't out. Only noise at high speed, and that's from the cabinet and all its contents. HTH.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 AM

There is a lot of difference in the Pfaff's made in Germany than when they sold out...those older Pfaff's were and still are fabulous. I have only the german made ones and although many people are happy with the newer ones there have been numerous problems that had to be sorted out with each model. That said, I think and could be wrong but there are a lot of machines (various makers) that are just plain loud when sewing. I have heard that some people put some type of matt under their machine to help with the noise and vibration. I would definately call the dealer you exchanged your Pfaff with and ask if this is normal for this particular machine or if you can take it in and let them hear for themselves what you are talking about you will know for sure if it is normal or if there is a problem.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM

I just recently received a Pfaff c1100 pro as a gift from my grandmother, as I was have serious issues with my 4.0. I have really enjoyed the new machine! However, today it alerted me that my bobbin was running out of thread and although I have changed bobbins and needles and re-thread everything the machine is still convinced the bobbin is running out of thread. Has anyone experienced this issue?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM

You might have a bit of lint in front of the sensor. I don't know where it is on your machine, but mine is on the bobbin cover. Also, sometimes you have to stitch a ways before it will change. Try turning it off and back on. That works for a lot of problems!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Well, You I believe your right. I did check the sensor, and after calling Pfaff, and talking to grammy compressed air did get it. It seems to be running great now! Thank you!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 AM

I bought the Pfaff Smarter C1100 last December, 2010 as a friend had one. I had lots of problems with the machine at first but discovered the LQS where I purchased the machine didn't take it out of the box to test or adjust it. After 4 trips back to the shop, this machine is wonderful and it's a workhorse! The differential feed works well and you don't need a walking foot.

I love the different stitches that are built into the machine. Again, if you want a good, basic quilting machine, this one is it.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM

I have owned the Smarter C1100 for about a month and I had the low bobbin sensor go off, but it wouldn't do it for the tech. What I found, and read this by someone on some forum too, is that, I sit by my sliding door and if a really direct sunlight comes in, the sensor goes off and won't let me sew. I tested it a few times by partially lowering the blinds, and poof, the sensor didn't come on. It was that simple. I have the quilter's toolbox with the plexiglass clear table, so for some reason too much light must hit the sensor. I still can sew with plenty of good light, so I am happy.

If your having trouble with your thread cutter leaving thread springing up too much, like within a half inch of the needle hole or up into the take lever area, try feeding your thread from a separate spool holder for smoother feeding off of the spool. I was having trouble with cotton thread. I have lot of Superior Masterpiece cotton thread on 3000 yd spools with a wide (1 inch) center and they are about 4 inches tall. I realized the thread was kind of whipping awkwardly off of them.

With those two things combined, it made the tension too tight intermittently, so when I would auto cut, I believe that little bit of spring caused the thread to fly up. The cutter works works fine with regular small spools and poly type embroidery thread on the regular spool holder. So, I'm just using my side spool holder for all of that Masterpiece I own.

Now, I think my Smarter is great machine, the pfaff feet are so nice, with dual feed, and it just glides over thick quilting seams. [ATTACH=CONFIG]327822[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]327823[/ATTACH] Just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone.
Attached Thumbnails cimg4914.jpg   cimg4908.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM

My thread cutter isn't solved like I thought. Does anyone else have the problem where the cutter cuts the thread too short or the thread flys up in the take up lever.

I also jammed the machine, because after I turned the machine on, I cut the thread with the cutter to remove the fabric that was under the presser foot and to change presser feet. My needle bent, but the machine sewed fine after that.

I'm not so hot on the machine today, cuz it seems touchy and what good is an auto cutter that springs the thread up too short. My dealer is back next week from convention, and I will be taking it in.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM

kerriy--So sorry to hear that your thread problem is not fixed. I hope your dealer can fix it fast for you! (I am still considering buying this machine, so I'll be watching to see what happens.) Good luck!