Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preparing for binding >

Preparing for binding

Preparing for binding

Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM

I zig-zag stitch all around the perimeter of a quilt before I do the binding. It fastens all of the layers together at the edge, and for me, it makes binding easier. I also leave the batting longer, like 1 1/2 to 2 inches, so this "perimeter baste" usually ends up being cut off. I think it's whatever you're used to, as long as it works!

Last edited by MacThayer; 01-02-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Even though I was using Sharon's video as a guide I still had problems when it came to the joining of the ends. I sewed them wrong 3 times before I went to chat and got some more help. This is the video I was directed to, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEy9NXOK5c It shows clear and concise up close instructions that I followed easily. Picking out those itty bitty stitches was a pain and I'm glad to report that the binding is on and all that's left is to hand stitch the binding to the back. I've had a lot of fun making this quilt and have learned a huge amount from this board of awesome quilters.
I liked this method better than Sharon's, but I do a little more to make it accurate. No measuring. To begin, I fold a triangle into the beginning end and press very well. Then fold in half as usual and sew binding on, starting 6 to 8 inches from that triangle. When you reach the end, stop 6 to 8 inches from the tip of the triangle. Pin binding well as you want it to be sewn. Overlap end over beginning triangle and cut the end tail at the base of the triangle. That spot shows exactly the width of the binding strip. Now your two ends are overlapped exactly as far as the binding strip is wide. Pick up ends, place right sides together, twist to a right angle and sew on the pressed line. Then I finger press the seam open before I trim. It's a lot easier when you have more fabric to grab onto. Then trim. Fold it back where it belongs, and you have the perfect join.

Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 PM

maviskw,Wow she talks fast in that video! I had no problem watching her hands & learning how to do this method but listening to her & understanding forget it lol.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 PM

I do my binding like #1piecemaker does hers.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 PM

This is the best video/instruction for preparing a quilt for binding. This is the part I always dread most. Added it to my favorites. Thank you.
This is what I'm using as my guide, hopefully I can make the teacher proud of my attempt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM

This is what I'm using as my guide, hopefully I can make the teacher proud of my attempt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
I love Sharon Schamber's method. Until I watched her video I dreaded the binding process. Now I actually look forward to it and my bindings always come out really well.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 AM

I was watching this Schamber video, and the only thing I don't quite get is, why does she measure a new seam allowance when sewing the binding to the front of the quilt (she folds the binding in thirds). Why not just use the 1/4" seam allowance? Do most of you use a 1/4" seam there, or do you find that to be too small?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM

I measure for a new seam allowance. Sometimes I do a test on some scrap to make sure it'll fit all the way around but not be too big.