Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printers for printing fabric sheets >

Printers for printing fabric sheets

Printers for printing fabric sheets

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Ok, I did my research - I come here when I have to research anything to do with quilting. I have a Kodak printer which has always been a pain in my a&&.

We go every Sunday and buy a paper and I scan the ads. I saw that Target had an Epson printer - one of the printers that was recommended by others here on the board for printing on fabric sheets - on sale.

I went to one Target, and there weren't any left - no surprise since it's Thursday and they went on sale on Sunday. But I had to hit up another Target for something else, and low and behold, they had one. It feeds from the back like you guys said it needs to - the paper goes straight in and doesn't have to make a U turn to get printed. The ink is that special ink that everyone says is the best - MicroPiezo ink - quick drying, fade resistant, smudge proof and water resistant.

So I brought it home and carefully unpacked it - in case it wasn't going to work for me. I got it all hooked up, installed, and a test print done. I put my fabric sheet in, and OMG! It came out beautiful! I am making baby blankets for my daughter who's expecting her first (and our first grandchild) and she wanted a Precious Moments clip art printed out and appliqued onto a blanket. I had messed up 2 sheets in the Kodak printer -this one came out beautiful - perfect! I can hardly wait - now I can do postcards and appliques and quilt labels..........the possibilities are endless!

I want to thank everyone here for their kindness and their ability to share their experiences and making life easier for others of us that are just starting out!

O, did I mention, I only paid $29.00 for this printer - yes, that's not a mistake - Twenty Nine dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER! :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Congratulations on that great price! :thumbup:
I still have an Epson printer from my graphic arts days that prints up to 11"x17". I'll have to see if that ink and paper is available for it. Hmmmm
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM

how much is the ink cartridges tho sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new printer than new ink and they wonder why the landfills are getting full.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 PM

I have an Epson printer and while I like the printer the cartridges are very expensive. So I ordered the last ones on line for less than half the price and they work great, just like the name brand.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM

We have an epson and the one thing I disliked about it was if you wanted to do black and white printing it still used all the colors. I was spending over 100 a year on ink. We now have an hp with 2 cartage. one for color one for Black
Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 PM

I have the Epson Workforce and love it - if you are running out of black, it can create it by mixing the other inks. I find the ink online, too.
If you only want black and white, you have to go into the advanced properties. Another thing I like is being able to print 2-up, 4-up, etc to resize applique patterns.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 AM

Well, the ink was comparable to the other inks - I did check that. I don't know how fast it will go thru ink since there's no way to tell - but my Kodak printer goes thru ink like it's water --- and their commercials say you'll save ink. Not on my printer!
The color ink (3 in a pkg) was $29.00 in Target - haven't checked elsewhere. The black was...I think it was like $14 or something - can't remember exactly.
I can always use my Kodak for some things, and the Epson for others. I still have the Kodak - just have to move the USB cord over from one to the other.

I did notice however, that the printer decided which size paper I could use - I couldn't change it. But, it worked out perfectly for what I was doing. So we'll see!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 AM

I'm glad you're happy with what you got and how it works. I have three printers...a back feed inkjet that doesn't flip, a front feed inkjet that does flip, and a laser. All three print on fabric just perfectly with never any problems, so the range of suitable printers out there is wide open.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I have an Epson and I love it.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:31 AM
np3
Power Poster

What is the number on the Epson Will an NX400 Epson Stylus work?