Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on Freezer Paper >

Printing on Freezer Paper

Printing on Freezer Paper

Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM

A friend and I used to make labels for one of our quilting groups. If you want the members to iron the freezer paper to their fabric then this is what we learned:
- it does require an ink jet printer [?]
- her top loading printer did not do as well as my front loading printer
- cut freezer paper to size
- if using to print on fabric, iron together well, then retrim the leading edge of paper & fabric. feed 1 sheet at a time

If you want the members of your group to just use a pattern and not need them to iron it to fabric, then you have more options: use deli paper [Costco business carries it very cheaply], use printer paper, use any type of paper that will go through your printer ... then let members use a glue stick to adhere paper to fabric. This way no need to use irons.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 PM

I usually don't put the freezer paper through my printer. When I need multiple copies (which is most times), I print the pattern on a normal copy paper sheet and then place that on top of a stack of freezer paper sheets (6 or so freezer paper sheets). I staple, pin, sew, or heat set the papers together to make them stable. Then, using an old needle in a threadless sewing machine I perforate the freezer paper by "sewing" on each of the lines. Once all lines are done I trim on the outside lines using an old rotary cutter. Now, that process makes 6 copies using one printed sheet; that saves on ink. If I need more than 6 copies I just move the pattern to the top of another stack of freezer paper and repeat the process. The copy paper containing the pattern only works about three times before it begins to get so tattered that I use a freshly printed sheet.

The advantage of perforating the freezing paper is that it folds easily at the "lines" which makes it easy to do Judy Mathieson's technique of sewing BESIDE the paper rather than sewing through the paper. This makes taking the freezer paper off of the fabric an easy task.

Both of these techniques are described in tutorials and are easily found by doing a search on the internet. If you would like some site examples, please let me know.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 PM

I confess that I indulge myself and order 8-1/2 x 11 size freezer paper from C. Jenkins. You can order from 100 to 500 sheets. I don't remember what I paid for it, but the price wasn't outrageous or I wouldn't have ordered it. And it was worth it to me to not have the paper jams. Their website is www.cjenkinscompany.com
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM
pw6

great info ladies I have both a lazer and ink jet printer and have been afraid to use either..
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM

I bought some double sided tape and tape the freezer paper to a sheet of copy paper. That flattens it out and keeps it from curling. The tape comes both removable and permanent. then I use an old rotary cutter and cut the sheet into 8 x 11 sheets. I do this in the evening while watching t.v. Keeps me from falling asleep and I can usually do a whole package in an evening and it lasts a very long time.
Sue
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM

I'm ignorant. What is "A4?"
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I'm ignorant. What is "A4?"
Standard size printer paper @ 8.5x11
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 PM

I sew appreciate everyone's suggestion.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 PM

Katybob thanks for sharing store info ,I like that shop
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 AM

I've never tried this idea, but that's for the new info. Another one of those things that goes on to the Bucket List.