Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing on Freezer Paper >

Printing on Freezer Paper

Printing on Freezer Paper

Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 AM

OK, I am clearly deep in the fog here today. I get that you are ironing freezer paper to fabric to stabilize it for printing on the fabric side, right?
So are you also just using the Labels sheet for the same purpose? Or do the labels somehow transfer to your fabric after you iron them on? I am remembering the old iron-on embroidery patterns.... can we get labels like those?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM

I use the above noted label sheets, just like you would use freezer paper, copy your pattern on the blank side of the label sheet, once you have printed the pattern, remove the backing, and press the sticky side of the label sheet onto the fabric, cut out your pattern piece and applique it onto your background fabric. It really stays on the fabric once you press it with the iron - I find it works better than freezer paper.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM

I cut the freezer paper to about 8 x 11", slightly smaller than a copy paper sheet, I then quickly press the leading FP edge onto a copy paper sheet, just the edge, 1/ 4" or less, to attach on the copy paper sheet. I also attach the other corners touching ligthly with iron to ensure the freezer paper stays in place. My old printer would not take freezer paper alone but this way works. Any old copy paper will do as long as it's straight enough to go through the printer. Separate after printing and you have your templates.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
I confess that I indulge myself and order 8-1/2 x 11 size freezer paper from C. Jenkins. You can order from 100 to 500 sheets. I don't remember what I paid for it, but the price wasn't outrageous or I wouldn't have ordered it. And it was worth it to me to not have the paper jams. Their website is www.cjenkinscompany.com
I too use this freezer paper, already to go into your printer. Several years ago I placed an order and got multiple packages of 50 sheets each, in order to get the price break. I still have 4 packages left, which is enough for several more years. This paper is heavier than what you get on a roll at the grocery store. Make sure you iron it to your pressing surface twice, before ironing to fabric. It needs to get some lint on it or you won't be able to separate it from your fabric.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
OK, I am clearly deep in the fog here today. I get that you are ironing freezer paper to fabric to stabilize it for printing on the fabric side, right?
So are you also just using the Labels sheet for the same purpose? Or do the labels somehow transfer to your fabric after you iron them on? I am remembering the old iron-on embroidery patterns.... can we get labels like those?
I use freezer paper for turned-under machine applique (a la Harriet Hargrave). In the past I have hand-traced the pattern pieces (for example, individual flower petals, stems & leaves) onto freezer paper. This is time-consuming, so this thread has been very informative for me; will try printing the patterns onto the freezer paper instead of tracing. Anyway, after having the pattern pieces traced onto a sheet of freezer paper, I cut about 5 additional pieces of freezer paper and iron the stack together around the edges. When I cut the paper along the pattern edges, I then get 6 copies at a time. I iron these pieces to the back of the applique fabric, cut around the pattern leaving about 1/8"-1/4" seam allowance around the edge of the paper, then use paste (HH uses a glue stick) to glue the seam allowances underneath. I stabilize the background fabric with heavy starch, then machine sew the applique pieces to the background.

Another use for freezer paper is for paper piecing; some of the posts in this thread mention how they use it that way.

I haven't used it yet to stabilize fabric for printing on the fabric, but I'm sure some quilters use it for that purpose also.

Freezer paper is one of the items that has multiple great uses for quilters. For example, you can iron it onto your ironing board to protect the cover from starch and other damage; easily rip it off and replace it as needed.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Ghostrider is right - freezer paper shrinks. If I recall correctly the applique book discussing this, you can stabilize it by ironing first.

Also, if you use the copier method, remember that the copier makes copies a small fraction larger than the original!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM

Buy the Jenkins paper and be done!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
I cut about 12 sheets of freezer paper 8.5 x 11 inch sheets, and keep them under my cutting mats, by the time I need to use them, they have flattened down ready to be used. When I have used them up, I just make more and store them until needed.

How clever! And you know right where they are! I like your idea.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

so much valuable information here! i have always ironed my FP to copier paper... i've been doing this for my Dear Jane blocks. i paint starch to turn under the seam allowances.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM

when I wanted to use freezer paper and print more then one copy. I cut the freezer paper so it was a long roll, and than I put my printer on banner paper and printed it off. that way I didn't have to try and put the freezer paper in the printer all the time , turn out to be no hassle .