Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality Control Issues -- Help? >

Quality Control Issues -- Help?

Quality Control Issues -- Help?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Administrator

the issue is not primarily what a quilt looks like.
a quilt that some would consider uuuuuuuugleee will be beautiful to others.

the issue is quality of construction and suitability (durability) of the fabric used.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM

This seems like a touchy subject in many aspects...
As a charity organizer it would be a big dilema. As a donator, I would like to be told if the quilt I offered was not appropriate for what it was intended for.
This is why when I donate, I donate directly. This helps me to confirm that it is going to where I want it to go to and that they know I did my best to offer them what they are needing.

There is no such thing as ugly. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. and If it keeps you warm it is called a "loved quilt".
Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Thank you Patricia, very well said. I do a lot of machine quilting for my guild for our donation quilts as I have a LA. If the colors are not to my taste, so be it, but the construction is important as it takes forever to load a quilt that is way out of square, small seams that pull out, large seams that create puckers, folds and just general sloppy construction. I have been returning them to the makers, show them where the problems are, offer to help with the repairs and explain what is needed to load them on the machine. This has helped not only me, but the other girls that do the machine quilting. We make sure that everyone understands that all donations are welcome, but sometimes they need a little bit of adjustments.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:36 PM

I think it is important to keep in mind the thoughts behind the donation. If the quilter is new and isn't sure what they are doing, or haven't developed the skills yet, but is honestly doing what they can to make a useful quilt, then I think it would be worthwhile to pull them aside and offer some tutelage so that they can improve their skills. Or if you are uncomfortable doing this one on one, offering a workshop every month, open to everyone involved, that would cover basic skills - seam allowances, selecting good fabric, etc. This will need to be done gently and lovingly, not critically. The reason I don't participate in QOV is because their requirements are so strict, I don't think my skills will meet them for years to come. And I didn't particularly get the impression that the people involved were willing to help.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 AM

If you are working with all volunteers, please be careful not to offend anyone. Volunteers are hard to find and if you get too particular about what you will donate you will not only make enemies of those who do not do the best job,but of their friends and fellow participants as well. Accept gratefully whatever is donated, occasionally reminding all of your people that we need to be careful of our seam widths and make sure the items will wear well for the recipients. If you cannot in good faith donate something, please get a "packing/shipping" department who can quietly and efficiently weed out anything that is absolutely unacceptable and figure out what to do with it other than put it with the donations. Do not donate it to a thrift store as you wouldn't want the maker to run onto it. This is a touchy issue and I wouldn't be too picky about what is donated as long a it looks okay when finished. People who are not quilters are not going to be inspecting it for quality, but are going to be grateful for the donated quilts. Everything wears out eventually and if a seam splits in a year or so they will still be better than what you purchase uptown. I am co-founder of our local quilt guild and these are issues we have dealt with successfully for a long time.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 AM

I might add that volunteers in our area tend to be older people and you must consider the possibility that they may not see as well as they once did. I have macular degeneration and I certainly can see a difference in my sewing and quilting when I get it under a bright light. Maybe a good ott light or sewing near a sliding glass door would be helpful for some. There is no reason why simple quilts cannot be made with wider seam allowances to insure that they stay sewn. Just be extra kind to everyone because they are trying to be helpful. I think a sheet with the wanted requirements for size, seam allowance size, etc. would be appropriate for everyone in the group, and for all newcomers.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 AM

A lot of the volunteers in my area are Girl scout troops and even grade school children doing a project for community service. Obviously they have little skills as to the work they are doing, but are very proud to be doing it.
I believe the quilts should be sorted as to their usefulness without saying anything to the volunteers.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

and . . the homeless shelters in your area can use quilts too. the ugly quilt will keep folks warm. like many said-seams that pull apart will cause a draft in the night for someone who may only be looking to not freeze in this weather. A parent who brings their family to the shelter is not going to remember a design on the bed quilt as much as the fact they were warm and safe under that roof. they don't take the quilts/blankets with them when they leave. things are washed, beds are remade and ready for the next person. so yes, decent fabric and seams that won't fall apart are important. the design-squares sewn together or a Jacob's ladder design etc are not an issue. or shouldn't be. now . . .that being said; when we take food to the shelters there is often children sitting around hugging a doll who could use a doll quilt (pretty is better lol) and kids who could use a quilt to wrap around their shoulders. we make those about 50x50 and use flannel for the backs. The man who runs the place knows what that size is for and finds the kids without a sweater and wraps em up! and if a group came into possession of a lesser quality item it could be reworked and have a few ties added to make a dog coat too.

Last edited by cherrio; 02-15-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 AM

I did some long arm quilting for a group. Did not do the piecing. The fabric was loosely woven and they were falling apart when I got them. I restitched on the serger before quilting. I just figured this put twice the love and warmth in them. I feel that if a person has nothing, why send them something made out of fabric that is going to fall apart in the first washing.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 AM

I worked with a group doing charity sewing, a small percentage of the articles that were done by volunteers were very poorly made, almost always by an elerly person who put her heart in it and just wanted to still be useful. I had to distance from the group because a leader wanted to lecture these women. I tried to explain to the leader it would be best to just accept that a small percentage would be a loss & not usable and not worth causing the poor sewer embarrassesment and hurt.
Remember these are volunteers, sewing from their heart, they are often elderly with their eyesight & health failing, they deserve to be respected, if what they sew is not usable then so be it.