Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt. >

Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Questions from a first time quilter - sweater quilt.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 AM

I have been collecting wool sweaters and have felted them and I have found in order for them to felt it has to have a 100% wool content otherwise if it has other fibers as well as wool it doesn't felt . In fact some of the pieces turned out as a mess and I had to discard them. Good luck as it is a wonderful idea for a memory quilt.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

a local quilt guild is the PERFECT suggestion! I would take a few of his sweaters and I am willing to bet the farm you will find help there and maybe continued help and advice. look in the phone book or ask at a quilt store for guild information. When I started I wasn't aware there were guilds in the area.
Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I'm so glad you've decided to wait just a bit!

Back to your original question, when you're ready to work with the sweaters, it'd be better to have the quilt top completely done with similar weight fabric. I would use the coordinating shirts, as part of the quilt backings, so that they'd be alongside fabrics similar to themselves. Not knowing the weight of the sweaters, it's hard to suggest like fabrics for piecing with them. If you have a quilting guild or LQS near you, it might help to get the advice of someone knowledgeable, who can see/feel them, then recommend appropriate fabric.

Welcome to the world of quilting!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Lori, have you considered making pillows instead? I would think that would be easier and you could leave a frayed edge outside of the stitching, like a rag quilt. That way, you could stitch the edges first and cut second. I haven't made pillows, myself, but if you use a form, that sounds a lot easier than dealing with a quilt. The sweater should adhere to the form nicely while you're making it. Plus, it would be huggable. You might try that while you're experimenting.

hugs,
Charlotte
I totally agree with Charlotte. Pillows would be my way to go. I have seen designer pillows made using the main part of a sweater and even using its collar and/or sleeves by folding them across it in a decorative pattern. I think cuddling with a sweater pillow would be kinda like cuddling with that memories of the person who wore it. And the pillows I saw were adorable and would be fast to make. You might consider this for using some of the sweaters that aren't 100% wool. I'm sure if you search the internet you can find some free patterns and tutorials for them. Good Luck. Jan
Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I would use the sweaters to make blocks and crochet them together
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I tried to edit above but waited too long. Sew around the area you are going to cut for block. AND on second thought I would sew them together and then back with flannel. I am just shooting from the hip so I am sure there is someone out there with more experience
Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 AM

If you are looking for filler wool pieces or fabric, you might try purchasing blankets from yard sales or resale shops. I buy blankets at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores for $4-$10 dollars. This gives you large pieces that can be used and is much less expensive than purchasing wool by the yard. Also might be a good practice piece for you. I serge the edges on some projects with the thinking that it might be a little safety net for fraying. Some people put stabilizer on the pieces as has been suggested.
Here is a tutorial I have used with the wool in my collection that might help with ideas. The wool does stretch and I believe cutting larger than needed is a great idea.

http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/...k-quillow.html

Good Luck it is really a wonderful idea!
Lisa
Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 AM

Default raveling sweater squares

Originally Posted by quiltsfordad View Post
Thank you everyone for all of the replies! Peggy - I came across that tutorial in my research, that's definitely the approach I will be taking with these, but I plan to make smaller ones, maybe slightly larger than a crib size? Something to cover up with on the couch. I'd love to make bigger ones but I'd have to use a lot of purchased fabric then (I don't think I want to add thrifted sweaters to my Dad's, I feel like it should be only his stuff and purchased stuff)

I will have to check through all of my Dad's sweaters, but when discussing with my mom, she believes that most, if not all of his sweaters have a decent wool percentage. I do plan on felting them before cutting them, which would solve the fraying/unraveling problem, and then it could also be washed at home right?

As far as climate, I live in Alberta, Canada, so I am not worried about it being too warm or thick!! I really, really want to try use both shirts and sweaters for the squares, so I will have to do some more research on that!

I have found some nice wool fabric on etsy that might work for additional squares also.

Thanks again everyone!

ETA: I think making a "practice" quilt from thrift store finds will be happening very soon!
You might want to try serging the edges of the quilt squares; that could help prevent raveling. Just a thought...
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Since you've never made a quilt, I'd like to suggest you start with something easier, than sweaters and other irreplaceable items. Get yourself some cotton fabric and learn the ins-and-outs of piecing and quilting, first. Quilting with those sweaters will be a bit trickier, so it's best to learn the basics, first. Maybe you can find some fabric that reminds you of your dad . . . or something you think he'd have liked. Use that for your very first quilt, so that if there are any problems, the precious items won't be harmed.

Welcome, from Texas!
I completely agree. My mother passed away, after a long illness, just a few years after I started quilting. Having 3 very small boys at home, I had little time to make any projects, let alone build up my expertise to make a memory quilt of mother's things.

My grandmother and aunt, bless their little hearts, saved all of her nicest clothes for me. Unfortunately, they were all silks and stuff that not only didn't remind me of mom, but would have been impossible to make anything with. I went to the stuff they wanted to donate and found some beautiful pieces that just screamed my mom. I'm going to make a t-shirt quilt with them. I buy bits of tricot when I can find a remnant of it big enough and I've already stabilized a few blocks and got them cut and sashed. Had I attempted to make something with them right away, I'm sure I would have ruined them and they are irreplaceable.

Now I've been quilting several more years, my boys are "tweenagers" and I've been getting my feet wet in more complex quilts. This really was the best way to go. I'm going to have a lovely memory quilt of mom's things and I have so many that I'm making a table runner type size for my aunt who took care of my mother her last 8 years of life. I'm so glad I waited. It was my inspiration why I kept quilting for a while cause I wasn't very good at first. I think of myself as an intermediate beginner now. Still lots to learn, but I know I can tackle mom's quilt as soon as I have all that stabilizer I need.

I wish I could help with the wool sweaters you have. I don't think I'll be of much help. If you have enough of those lighter weight shirts, you can alternate them with a light-weight flannel and make a rag quilt. I've also made a Stairway to Heaven pattern, which is very easy and put memory pieces in strategic spots. I used old handkerchiefs for those and it turned out well. Regular cotton paired with the old hankerchiefs and I used cotton on the back.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM

You know it's your quilt so I would do what you want. Now that being said I've never made a quilt from sweaters! I think if you felt them, use a lightweight iron on stabilizer, serger, 1/2 inch seam allowance you should be good to go. I can't see why you can't use his shirts as well. If it were me I would add interfacing or stabilizer to the shirts so all your materials are the same weight. It's so cool your excited about this project. This is what quilting is all about. I hope you keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 AM

If you decide you don't want to go for the interesting texture variation of the shirts and sweaters I would suggest corduroy as a possible additional fabric to use with the sweaters. It also lends itself nicely to the larger 6"-8" squares you would want to use for the sweaters.