Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on  reversible quilts and backings. >

Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 PM

I used a diamond shape on point, and quilted the whole quilt so that from either side all you see is diamonds. It's nothing but straight lines that look good.
I did a panel one time 36 x 45 with another panel on the back side. I did the diamond pattern on the panels. I then added another 10 inch strip, one side front, batting and back and did a diamond pattern only in the other direction. I did that all the way around the panel, it was much easier to quilt because all I was quilting was the 10 inches.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 AM

I have made a reversible quilt and I am starting another one. I do two quilts quilt with just batting and then put them together.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01094.jpg   dsc01096.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
One of our peers here gave me a great idea regarding quilting it. Do the two sides separately; thin batting backed with bridal toile and then sandwich the front and back together after they are quilted separately. I haven't done it yet, but I'm ready to go.
Wow! Light bulb moment! What a neat idea! I would assume then you would tie them just to keep the whole thing together? What a neat way to have it all and something I just might be able to do. :-)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 AM

The first thing I thought of when I saw your post was a video I saw just last week. It is a QAYG demo, completely reversible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEYhxgq6Rjw
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by Cass62 View Post
The first thing I thought of when I saw your post was a video I saw just last week. It is a QAYG demo, completely reversible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEYhxgq6Rjw
Just took a quick look at that way - I think making two sides and putting them together would be easier, for me anyway. :-)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM

I think part of it depends on how you plan on quilting it. If you're going to put it on a frame, I don't think it's possible to line it up perfectly. However, if you are going to hand quilt it, or pin-baste it and quilt it on your DSM, I think there is a way to line up the top and backing. It would require patience and dedication, though! Stick a pin through the top at a corner of a block, then down through the batting, then line the pin up with the corresponding corner of the corresponding block on the backing. Do this for every corner of every block, then quilt.

That's how I'd do it - if I had the patience!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 AM

I've done one reversible - and I would not recommend trying one where you will be stressed about the seams/blocks not lining up perfectly. SITD on the top may be a hot mess on the reverse - or it may provide a great straight line grid depending on how your back is assembled.

Cheers, K
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM

You could do cross hatch quilting going from corner to corner on your quilt instead of SID. That way it will do great on both sides.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:04 AM

I have done this on a miniature quilt. It was very difficult to get it to line up. I pinned, pinned and pinned everywhere to get it lined up. On a large quilt, it would have to be basted extremely well. My personal instinct tells me that I would hand thread baste it first and go very slow. Patience will be key on a task that big. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by fatsewcat; 10-05-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM

Nabobw: That Bargello is awesome! You quilted both sides independently with no backing on the batting? Did you join both halves in the middle afterward?

Fatsewcat: Very nice quilt! That's kind of what I was thinking. It's nice to see it can be done with patience. I think hand stitching the lines would make sense for that method. I know I could make a mess of things in a hurry if I tried something like that by machine.

I'll have to check out the other video to see how to join the QAYG blocks but QAYG wasn't the way I was thinking about for this idea.
Rodney