Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Basting for FMQ Tutorial Needed >

Quilt Basting for FMQ Tutorial Needed

Quilt Basting for FMQ Tutorial Needed

Old 09-26-2014, 05:23 AM

I use spray 505 basting. Love it! Really low odor and can reposition easily. BEWARE not all spray bastings are the same- check for odor!. I baste my large quilts in sections and spray the cotton backing fabric , put batting and then spray the batting before putting on the pieced top. I clip backing to a piece of plywood that i have on a banquet table. I use large binder clips. Actually I start at one edge of the top and work to the other edge. rather than starting in the center and working out to to each edge. That way I only ave to move the quilt sandwich 1 time. If you use spray backing instead of pin the quilt sandwich is SO mch lighter and easier to push/move thru the machine.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 AM

Me too, spray baste only!!!
Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
I spray baste all my quilts. After the first one or two that I made, my quilt mentor told me about 505 basting spay and I have never looked back! I've used it on all sizes from small to king size without any problem. Pins...I don't think so :-)
Old 09-26-2014, 09:28 AM

I usually spray mine outdoors; the driveway works pretty good; nice big flat smooth area. I do lay my quilt on a sheet and I recruit my hubby to help. This way he can say "we" made the quilt. I lay out my batting first, then the quilt top on that. I then fold back half of the quilt top and spray the batting. I then lay the top back down and smooth it out (hubby helps here). Then do the same thing to the other half. Then I turn it over. Now I lay my back on top of that and repeat the process. This method works really well for me. Of course it does involve bending and getting on your knees, but I don't have the floor or table space in my house.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I tried spray basting a few times. The fumes were strong and I had overspray and I thought I was being very careful. The room air carries the spray and it settled on everything in a light coating. Having ventilation makes it worse. I would only spray outside.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:59 AM

I personally use Sharon Schambers basting method for any quilt I'm doing myself. It takes a bit of time but well worth the effort..AND I can actually fold the quilt up and let it be for quite some time with no issues. There are 2 videos, I've included the first and the second should be listed at the site. With this method NOTHING shifts. I hate the pinning and they never seem to really do a good job of keeping things in place. I use my dining room table for basting. BUT I have a big sheet of heavy plastic over it to protect the surface. I got my boards pre-painted at Home Depot. I've basted up to queen size. I've never done a king size on my domestic machine. Try it, you might find it's the best method out there. I tried the basting spray and was never quite happy. But then I've been quilting a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA