Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting problems >

quilting problems

quilting problems

Old 04-15-2014, 08:38 AM

I've done a lot of fmq and it still happens to me occasionally. In fact it just did. Rip it all out. It will be easy if you remove the bobbin thread first. Unthread the machine, both top and bobbin, and rethread both. Take it slow and easy, and your problem should be solved. I'm taking a break to blow off steam before I rethread mine.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by cajunowl View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have a Singer, and the bobbin case does not have the screw adjustment. Also, there is no way to lower the feed dogs, so I wonder if I should try to purchase a more modern machine. I will try the suggestions, and hopefully, have better luck today. Thanks so much for the help!
You can cover the feed dogs with a card so then do not grap the fabric if you are not able to lower them. check on line on how to do this. Also I have been taught that you really do not want to mess with the bobbin tension screw. Most tensions issues can be fixed by playing with the upper tension.

Suggestions on other post have be spot on.

Or you can buy a new machine!!!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM

If you have loops on the bottom it is an issue with the top thread so concentrate there first. All suggestions are good. Also check that you have your needle inserted correctly. Start from scratch and do some practice. Hopefully it will work itself out. What type of Singer to you have? That can help us be more specific if you are still having problems. You don't need a new machine to be able to do quilting.

Relax and take it one step at a time. Come back for help if you need it. Pictures are also helpful.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 PM

There is a lot of beautiful quilting that can be done using a straight stitch only and no free motion quilting. You can get pretty creative using gentle curves and hiding jumps by stitching in the ditch. Have you tried that?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I always start out after threading my Bernina with a test sample sandwich. Just try all the suggestions checking everything quilter's have listed. When that occurs with me, it is normally the top tension needed to be re-threaded. Maybe try a new needle???
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 AM

Look again...most all machines have an adjustment on the bobbin case for tension. Also if you can't drop your feed dogs, simply cover them with a business card with a needle hole punched in it and tape it down. It just keeps them from grabbing your fabric.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by cajunowl View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have a Singer, and the bobbin case does not have the screw adjustment. Also, there is no way to lower the feed dogs, so I wonder if I should try to purchase a more modern machine. I will try the suggestions, and hopefully, have better luck today. Thanks so much for the help!
can you turn your stitch length down to 0?the feed dogs may not drop but,they won't be active.it might help.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM

The same thing happened to me. I have been "unsewing" it.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 PM

Have you re-threaded your machine?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM

If the presser foot is up, the tension will not be tight enough. Sewing machines are designed to lessen/eliminate the upper tension when the presser foot is up. You'll want to adjust the pressure of your presser foot, using a dial that is often at the left rear of the old-fashioned machines. But the lever for the presser foot should be down. You will also need a way to cover your feed dogs.