Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rag quilt questions >

rag quilt questions

rag quilt questions

Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 PM

i am making rag quilts for my three great-nephews for christmas. i plan on using just two layers of flannel to make them a little lightweight so they could use them in the spring and fall without it being so heavy. anyone else done this with just two layers? next question - i have a lot of flannel and was thinking of making my parents and mother in law each rag quilts using flannel and cotton. questions - would it work just with one layer of flannel and one of cotton and reverse it for the back so it would look kinda like a checkerboard. or should i use two layers of flannel and one of cotton and then reverse it for the checkerboard look? sorry this is so long but i am really anxious to get started - vacation next week and i would like to have them all sewn together.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 PM

flanne (or homespun) is the only thing that really ravels. cotton, I don't think you would be happy. The effect is not the same at all
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I made one with just cotton, and didn't like it, but I think flannel and cotton together would be fine.
I just made one with two layers of flannel only and I am not happy with it, but just personal taste. I find that I like at least a layer or two of flannel in the middle if not batting.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Go with the flannel, not cotton. It won't ravel as nicely.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 PM

Just the two layers of flannel should be fine. I made some with only 2 layers of fleece and it looked nice.

As for the cotton and flannel, I would make a small, doll quilt sized one - maybe 2x3 squares and wash it and see what happens. If you like it, go for it. If not, you can try something different. :)
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM

oatw13- good idea! on the one material i did try making a set of coasters and it seemed to fray pretty good. got the material extremely cheap - especially the one - 5 yds at a rummage sale for 2.50 and the flannel was only 1.29 at joanns so i am really not out a whole lot money wise!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 PM

I made one with flannel and fleece on the back with cotton batting in the center. I would just as soon have left out the batting. the fleece kind of curls up- not as much left in the washer when you wash it. Be careful that you don't plug the drain! I took mine to a laundramat. Then my brother took it over, and now he wants me to make it bigger! I said WE can make it bigger... hee heee
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM

Two layers of flannel works fine (I have done this several times). I would not do cotton because it does not bloom as well and that is the best part of the rag quilt.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 PM

I am making a rag quilt right now and i just use two layers!! I have used flannel with flannel and flannel with cotton!! Works Great!1 I was going to use three layers but my machine would not pull it through at all!! Good Luck
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 PM

I just finished my first rag quilt with flannel on the front and back and batting between, worked really well, It is very warm, my husband wanted a warm cuddly lap quilt. :)