Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair or buy new? >

Repair or buy new?

Repair or buy new?

Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 AM

Do you know what T&S model it is? T&S are not my favorite machines. However, the problem with the needle not going up and down could be because the machine has frozen up, due to dried oil, or lack of oil. It's usually an easy fix. You might try going over to the Vintage Sewing Machine thread and ask for advice before you spend money taking it to that shop. There's dozens of very learned SM people over there that will be happy to walk you through the process of getting that machine up and running again.

If you decide to buy a new machine, you might consider an older, used Singer. There's plenty of them on EBAY and most aren't that expensive. Just make sure that the seller packs the machine properly for shipping, or you'll end up with broken pieces. Again, check the Vintage SM thread for advice.

Good luck!

~ Cindy

Last edited by tropit; 03-11-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:58 AM

I have to say, the 'ole Touch and Sew got me in to sewing again. I purchased a different brand, brand new and it was just awful. Stitch was never right, couldn't go through any fabric at all, frustrating every time I sat down to sew. I gave up sewing for about 15 years. I finally decided it was time to try again, picked up an old Touch & Sew, with cabinet, all the goodies still in the drawers (threads, needles, scissors, zippers, fusing etc.) for $20. I LOVED that machine! It had a good stitch and would sew through anything I gave it. I used that machine until it literally burned out (smoke was coming out!). That machine got me excited about sewing again. So another possibility is to try Craig's list, which can have those old machines for cheap. (Just be careful!)
Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 AM

I took my old Singer (it was not a Touch and Sew) in to see if they could fix if for a "back-up" machine for me. An earlier repair was not that pricey, but this particular part would have taken enough hours to put in that I could have bought a good used machine for less. Get an estimate. It may be that it just needs a cleaning and timing adjustment or something simple or a major overhaul. I ended up giving it to a friend whose husband likes tinker with fixing sewing machines to see if he could fix it for his daughter-in-law. (The part wasn't that expensive, it just was a major thing to replace it.)
Old 03-11-2015, 06:54 AM

I'd get an estimate and then decide. Take into consideration your mom's ability to learn how to use a new machine, or if she is willing to learn how, some older folks can be stubborn when it comes to change. If you buy her a new machine check out the Brother machines at Wal-Mart, they are inexpensive and easy to thread and use. My 94 year old neighbor bought one about a year ago because her old Kenmore quit working. She loves it and lately has been sewing more than me!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 AM
lbc

If it has sentimental value, fix it. Otherwise buy a new one.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by usafchick1980 View Post
My mom has an OLD singer sewing machine. She doesn't sew a ton..but would like one handy for when she needs it..and who knows..maybe once she has one that works she would use it more often. Anyway we were talking and she is debating if she should get the one fixed that she has..or if she should just buy a new one.
I know that plenty of you say not to buy a new singer..because they are made pretty cheaply.

The one that she has runs..it just doesn't sew..does that make sense.

She is considering getting it looked at and possibly just getting it fixed. I think that that is what she should do..but I am not an expert on these types of things. My thought is if it runs then it might not cost a ton to get it fixed..and then she will get a great sewing machine because I do know that the old ones are made so much better than the newer ones.

I told her that I would post about it on here because I know that I have gotten great advise on here in the past.

She can't find the model number..but there is a manual and the copyright on it is 1969.

It also says that it is a "touch and sew" dual needle.
If she can get it looked at free or cheap, do it unless she would like a new machine. I have others but bought a Brother SQ9000 on Amazon from Ken's in AL with 80 stitches for $135.00. Also a GOOD used machine might be at the dealers as someone traded it in for a bigger better machine. There is much to chose from, depending what she wants it for/will use it for.

Last edited by Carol34446; 03-11-2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Add
Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Unless you can get a free estimate, I wouldn't bother with a technician. She would have to be very attached to it before I would put any money at all into it. If she likes new and shiny and modern features, get an inexpensive plastic machine with a good reputation (several have been suggested on this thread). Otherwise, watch for a garage sale, estate sale, or Craigslist ad for a used machine made prior to those Touch and Sew Machines (around 1960).

Just my 2 cents. You would have to pay me to sew on, fix, or haul away a Touch and Sew.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Banned

If she isn't interested in a new machine and the old one is done for, my suggestion is to look for a Singer 237. Simple straight stitch and zigzag, it's one of the last well thought of older Singers. There's not a machine made today that can match the satin stitch quality of the 237.

Cari
Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 AM

I f she only does occasional sewing I would go with a new Brother. They are lightweight and dependable.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM

I'm with quiltedsunshine and a few others. In the 60s and 70s I had a T&S. It had plastic gears. After a few years, the gears wore out. My (ex)husband replaced the gears and it lasted a while longer until those wore out. IMHO, I would get a vintage machine with metal gears....