Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Respect The Work of Others >

Respect The Work of Others

Respect The Work of Others

Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Which brings us back to "A Light in the Valley". They don't want anyone making a pomegranite Bargello pattern or Flame Bargello pattern quilts at all witout purchasing their pattern. I do understand their concern about persons making one and calling it "A Light in the Valley". I thought that was wrong of people to do until today. Now I don't know as it is a title and not the content of the pattern directions. Ugh!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 PM

http://youtu.be/bqU4wfSRGBA

Mary Fons of Quilty did a show on this. If you want to watch her video. She tells you what you can and can't do.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Which brings us back to "A Light in the Valley". They don't want anyone making a pomegranite Bargello pattern or Flame Bargello pattern quilts at all witout purchasing their pattern. I do understand their concern about persons making one and calling it "A Light in the Valley". I thought that was wrong of people to do until today. Now I don't know as it is a title and not the content of the pattern directions. Ugh!
Do they even sell the pattern? I think they only sell the finished quilt.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 AM

This is an fascinating topic. I found this link interesting. About 1/3 down the page speaks to this subject.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Patterns.shtml
Old 02-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Micha,
Of all the "links for copyright" posted, I appreciate this one for the inclusion of case files. Makes things so much clearer. Thank you.

Jan in VA
Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 PM

I have purchased patterns for applique quilts. I have needed to have mirror image copies of the applique patterns made. The copy business always makes sure that permission to copy for personal use is printed on the pattern before they will make a copy for me. One pattern I had did not have permission to copy on the pattern, so I wrote to the person who copyrighted the pattern and she sent me a letter granting permission. Legitimate copy businesses know and follow copyright law.