Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Respect The Work of Others >

Respect The Work of Others

Respect The Work of Others

Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Are you sure about that last part (the finished product could not be for personal use)? There would be no point arranging for production of a pattern if you didn't want people to make a quilt using the pattern. That just makes no sense.
A few designers want you to buy the pattern to see how it's made, not to actually make it. LOL
Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM

I really am sure about the 'or make it for your personal use' part because I showed it to the shop owner and there were a couple of customers nearby who heard the exchange and came over to look at the pattern as well. None of us could believe what we were reading.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
A few designers want you to buy the pattern to see how it's made, not to actually make it. LOL
Well I don't mind saying, I think that's silly.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Several years ago I found a quilt pattern I really loved. There was a copyright printed on the back that stated the purchaser could not duplicate, copy or sell the pattern and that the finished product could not be sold or reproduced for sale to others or used for your own personal use. Why would I spend $12.00 for a pattern that I could not make for myself?????
They can print anything they want on the back of the pattern, but I can't believe that is enforceable.

-----and that was crazy, by the way, to write that you can't even use for your own personal use. They must have made a typo, meaning to say that it was for your own personal use.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
It's a good thing for us that our great-grandmothers did not try to copyright all the old original quilt patterns. In those days it was all about sharing. Now money is king.
I don't think that is the point. The point is the instructions on how to make that block--in their exact words and their diagrams--it's not the finished product (maybe something as distinct as Judy Neimeyer sp? would be) or finished block.

As many have stated--quilt blocks are really just squares and triangles and rectangles, for the most part. And circles. They can't claim that that is original--it's probably not.

Oftentimes, just as soon as you think something is new, you look in an old quilting magazine or book and see something just like what you thought was new!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
I agree with you. Even if you use an original pattern and make your own additions/changes the credit to pattern designer should be given. I am guilty of having posted a picture of a quilt that started out as a basic churn dash and morphed into a completely different quilt; however, credit should have been given to the original pattern I chose. While I cannot undo this I will certainly remember to give credit in the future.
I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but if you started with a churn dash and proceeded to change it, why do you need to tell everyone--anyone who has been quilting for a while knows that it is based on churn dash.

Since no one can copyright the basic shape of churn dash, why even think about it? You didn't violate anything--you just designed a new-to-you quilt.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
But if it's in a magazine and you bought the magazine, isn't that pattern yours to use ? And why couldn't you share it because you paid for it in the magazine? I have shared my magazines with others before, I can't testify if they traced out the patterns and used them or not, don't really care, because I paid for that magazine. Maybe patterns shouldn't be placed in magazines if they don't want them used or shared?????? HHHMMMM
You CAN share the magazines, that's fine. You can use them, lend them, give them away, or sell them anytime you want and that's completely legal. What you legally CAN'T do is make copies of those patterns for your friends, or make a copy for yourself and then sell/give away the original. Think of it this way - it's a COPYright - it dictates rules about making COPIES. Not about what you do with the original.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but if you started with a churn dash and proceeded to change it, why do you need to tell everyone--anyone who has been quilting for a while knows that it is based on churn dash.

Since no one can copyright the basic shape of churn dash, why even think about it? You didn't violate anything--you just designed a new-to-you quilt.
I agree. I design my own quilts, some are loosely based on quilts I've seen in the past or traditional quilt blocks but I figure out all the measurements, proportions, layout, process, order of assembly, etc. on my own. Those are MY quilts, not anybody else's! If one was very strongly inspired by something specific I would probably mention it, especially if it were something unique that I thought might inspire someone else.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Based on this post, I guess I should not have gifted any of those quilt patterns I have sent to secret pals and secret santas. I wonder how many of them sent money to the pattern maker? How about the patterns I have used in the past, and gifted the quilts, or sold the quilts? Good thing I have given up using patterns as of today, so no one copy anything I post from now on, okay? I am so glad I can make my own patterns, so I will no longer be breaking any laws. Anyone want a huge pile of patterns, or am I required to burn them?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 PM

My suggestion would be to give anyone the name of the magazine and page numbers. This would not fringe on the rights of the designer.