Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Respect The Work of Others >

Respect The Work of Others

Respect The Work of Others

Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 AM

The First-sale doctrine says you can resell or give away a copyrighted item. You can't make a copy of the item to give away or sell.

"The first-sale doctrine creates a basic exception to the copyright holder's distribution right. Once the work is lawfully sold or even transferred gratuitously, the copyright owner's interest in the material object in which the copyrighted work is embodied is exhausted. The owner of the material object can then dispose of it as he sees fit. Thus, one who buys a copy of a book is entitled to resell it, rent it, give it away, or destroy it. However, the owner of the copy of the book will not be able to make new copies of the book because the first-sale doctrine does not limit copyright owner's reproduction right."
Old 11-25-2014, 07:21 AM

It's a good thing for us that our great-grandmothers did not try to copyright all the old original quilt patterns. In those days it was all about sharing. Now money is king.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
On a related note, we post lots of pics of quilts here that we make. I think it's important to give the name of the pattern. It gives credit due to the designer and offers others the chance to purchase or seek out that pattern. Lots of times I'll see a quilt pictured here and think it was designed by the poster. Then I see the pattern in a catalog. Even if you've changed the pattern, I think a comment such as "adapted from" or "based on" a pattern by so & so would be respectful to that designer.
I totally agree with that, I now always write the name and date of the magazine the pattern came from, as much for my benefit as for others.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
This post makes me wonder if you received a hand slap from someone....like maybe the designer? If so, I'm sorry that happened. Knowing what you now state, and having had a personal pattern infringed upon by another shop teacher, I try to be meticulous about this topic. It would be better if we all remembered that the law states the designer has the right to benefit financially from her/his work.

Jan in VA
No, I didn't get a "hand slap"; but when confronted with the request to copy a pattern and give it to someone it didn't sit well. I requested and received confirmation of my concern from one of the moderators of this board. Quilters are, for the majority, a honest ethical group and the members of this board prove that every day.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
The only time I feel copying and giving to a genuine quilter to make is when the designer has stopped printing the pattern and shops are sold out., is perhaps permissible .
Would you.?
While I understand what you are saying I have to say no. When there is a pattern that is out of print, can't find it anywhere then I begin a major search. Using Ebay, Google and determination I have found just about every pattern I have ever wanted. If I don't find it, then I will look for something as close to it as possible. I recently found a pattern from 1988 on Ebay that I wanted so badly, so it can be done and if not then there are always so many other gorgeous patterns.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
On a related note, we post lots of pics of quilts here that we make. I think it's important to give the name of the pattern. It gives credit due to the designer and offers others the chance to purchase or seek out that pattern. Lots of times I'll see a quilt pictured here and think it was designed by the poster. Then I see the pattern in a catalog. Even if you've changed the pattern, I think a comment such as "adapted from" or "based on" a pattern by so & so would be respectful to that designer.
I agree with you. Even if you use an original pattern and make your own additions/changes the credit to pattern designer should be given. I am guilty of having posted a picture of a quilt that started out as a basic churn dash and morphed into a completely different quilt; however, credit should have been given to the original pattern I chose. While I cannot undo this I will certainly remember to give credit in the future.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 AM

But if it's in a magazine and you bought the magazine, isn't that pattern yours to use ? And why couldn't you share it because you paid for it in the magazine? I have shared my magazines with others before, I can't testify if they traced out the patterns and used them or not, don't really care, because I paid for that magazine. Maybe patterns shouldn't be placed in magazines if they don't want them used or shared?????? HHHMMMM
Old 11-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
that the finished product could not be sold or reproduced for sale to others or used for your own personal use. Why would I spend $12.00 for a pattern that I could not make for myself?????
That was a rule. Not a copyright law. If I follow a rule it's my decision.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-25-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
if it's illegal to copy an idea, what about Pinterest?
It is not illegal to copy an idea. It is illegal to copy someone else's written instructions and pictures, and sell them as your own. Looking at a picture of a quilt on Pinterest and figuring out on your own how to make it is not illegal.

The reason why so many people take "public domain" and traditional quilt designs, write up instructions, and sell the pattern is because there are always buyers. New quilters come on the scene all the time. Some people like to have things all figured out for them already, so they don't have to do the math. New techniques and tools are developed which make the pattern easier, and we need instructions on how to use them.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Several years ago I found a quilt pattern I really loved. There was a copyright printed on the back that stated the purchaser could not duplicate, copy or sell the pattern and that the finished product could not be sold or reproduced for sale to others or used for your own personal use. Why would I spend $12.00 for a pattern that I could not make for myself?????
Are you sure about that last part (the finished product could not be for personal use)? There would be no point arranging for production of a pattern if you didn't want people to make a quilt using the pattern. That just makes no sense.